The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Use of Carbon Filtration POLL (Not for Axolotl keepers)

This is a discussion on Use of Carbon Filtration POLL (Not for Axolotl keepers) within the Pollution, Ecology & Chemistry forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; Please be honest here folks. This is for a preliminary "study" I am putting together while my other research projects ...

Pollution, Ecology & Chemistry Man made and organic pollution have drastic effects on the viability of ecosystems throughout the world. Amphibians are on the front line of this issue because they are widely believed to be the most sensitive organisms effected.

View Poll Results: Do you use activated carbon filtration in your non-axolotl tanks?

I use activated carbon pellets. 2 8.70%
I use activated carbon impregnated filter media. 6 26.09%
I use a combination of pellets and impregnated pads. 3 13.04%
I only use carbon in adult tanks. 2 8.70%
I only use carbon in rearing tanks. 0 0%
I do not use carbon in my filters. 9 39.13%
I do not use filters. 3 13.04%
Johnny, get out of the basement and go outside or something. 6 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2012   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Use of Carbon Filtration POLL (Not for Axolotl keepers)

Please be honest here folks. This is for a preliminary "study" I am putting together while my other research projects are delayed for various reasons. Multiple responses are allowed.

This is POLL 1 of 3
In advance: Thank you for your responses.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Use of Carbon Filtration POLL (Not for Axolotl keepers)

I've said that I use pellets and impregnated media, but I don't use carbon in all my filters; do you want me to edit my response to tick the 'I don't use carbon in my filters' box as well?

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Nope, that is fine. No need to get too perfect just yet. This is preliminary data collection as I plan to use the entire Community to test one of my wild mad-scientist theories.

In other words: "Good enough for Government work!"

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I use carbon in filter pads that include carbon (because otherwise I'd just have to throw it away). Otherwise not, usually, unless I feel like it. Good luck figuring that out!

Old 2nd April 2012   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tappers has given consistently good advice and informationTappers has given consistently good advice and informationTappers has given consistently good advice and information

I use air-operated foam filters that don't lend themselves to adding chemical media. I would perhaps use carbon to mop-up tannins from bogwood but I'd rather have slightly coloured water and low current..

Tappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I don't really use carbon. I used to, but could never see any difference with or without. I'm not convinced that it does anything at all. I think it's a placebo effect - if you're convinced it does something, that's what you'll see

LinkBack