The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Slightly morbid question.

This is a discussion on Slightly morbid question. within the Pollution, Ecology & Chemistry forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; I am in the process of researching a self sustaining viv, and I am curious as to what it would ...

Pollution, Ecology & Chemistry Man made and organic pollution have drastic effects on the viability of ecosystems throughout the world. Amphibians are on the front line of this issue because they are widely believed to be the most sensitive organisms effected.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By froggy
  • 2 Post By aramcheck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2013   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Brotoft is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Slightly morbid question.

I am in the process of researching a self sustaining viv, and I am curious as to what it would take to be able to leave a dead()animal inside and just recycle into the system.
Thank you for any input.

Brotoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Slightly morbid question.

As long as you don't over populate the viv and have a lot of detritovores, such as springtails, millipedes woodlice and microbials, and the species you are keeping is not too big, you won't have aproblem. The viv must be mature. Something the size of a dart frog would be a lot safer than a tiger salamander! If one rears large numbers of metamorphs in naturalistic enclosures, it is normal to find that some have not made it after a few months. Their bodies are suually never found.

However, particularly with salamanders, if conditions are right in the viv, you could wait 20 years before you have a death to deal with.

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: aramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgaramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgaramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgaramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgaramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgaramcheck is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Slightly morbid question.

Very much agrees with Froggy, I keep metamorphs in large, naturalistic tubs with loads of leaf litter and associated fauna for food. Which has always served me well, and one or two individuals out of maybe 20 tend to disappear without a trace every year.

I did, however lost more than that one year, and started wondering why it was the case, did a bit of exploratory rooting around, hoping to find some of the missing morphs... only to be met by a very fat centipede! I am still using this methods, but am constantly on the lookout for small centipedes, and remove them for the set-ups before they have the chance to become larger ones!!!!

aramcheck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead, death, morbid, sad, self sustaining, vivarium

LinkBack