The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Free Chytrid Testing for Salamanders

This is a discussion on Free Chytrid Testing for Salamanders within the Conservation and Habitat Management forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; The Amphibian Survival Alliance is now working with hobbyists to help fight salamander declines! They have just announced that they ...

Conservation and Habitat Management For discussion of the creation and maintenance of wild habitats for caudates and other amphibians, and on amphibian conservation issues.

Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By BlakeK
  • 1 Post By BlakeK
  • 1 Post By mr cyclone
  • 1 Post By Chinadog
  • 3 Post By BlakeK
  • 5 Post By BlakeK
  • 1 Post By John

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st November 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: BlakeK has given good advice and informationBlakeK has given good advice and information
Default Free Chytrid Testing for Salamanders

The Amphibian Survival Alliance is now working with hobbyists to help fight salamander declines! They have just announced that they will be offering free chytrid testing (both Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis and Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans) for 500 salamanders.

Recently, the emerging fungal pathogen Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans has been in the news quite a lot. There is much concern that the pathogen could cause large declines in North American salamander populations. In the Netherlands, the fungus lead to a 96% decline in a Fire salamander population in just 3 years.

It has been shown that the fungus is lethal to our common, but beautiful, Eastern newt (Notophthalmus viridescens) and the Rough-skinned newt (Taricha granulosa). A few species in North America have been shown to either tolerate or resist infection, but the fate of many species, if infected, is still unknown.

Several European species, besides Fire salamanders, have been shown to be susceptible too, including: Lissotriton italicus, Ichthyosaura alpestris, Pleurodeles waltl, Triturus cristatus, and Neurergus crocatus. Many of these species are adored by us in the hobby (rightfully so!).

If the fungus makes it to North America, it has the potential to not only cause great damage to our native salamander diversity but private collections too. I have read several stories about people's frog collection being wiped out by chytrid fungus, it worries me that the same fate may be possible with my salamanders.

More information can be found below, I hope it helps. For the love of the salamanders, lets get them tested.

Be A Salamander Hero | Amphibians.org

BlakeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path
Default Re: Free Chytrid Testing for Salamanders

I wouldn't feel right not paying them what it costs. Is there an option to pay for the testing?

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

I signed up to get a test kit. It seems to me they should just require this testing for all sales or trades for relevant species/situations. Perhaps such a thing could provide additional safety and curb the urge to "ban" species. I forsee interstate bans in the future.

Old 30th November 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 4
Rep: mladaboleslaw has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeK View Post
The Amphibian Survival Alliance is now working with hobbyists to help fight salamander declines! They have just announced that they will be offering free chytrid testing (both Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis and Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans) for 500 salamanders.

Recently, the emerging fungal pathogen Batrachochytrium salamandrivorans has been in the news quite a lot. There is much concern that the pathogen could cause large declines in North American salamander populations. In the Netherlands, the fungus lead to a 96% decline in a Fire salamander population in just 3 years.

It has been shown that the fungus is lethal to our common, but beautiful, Eastern newt (Notophthalmus viridescens) and the Rough-skinned newt (Taricha granulosa). A few species in North America have been shown to either tolerate or resist infection, but the fate of many species, if infected, is still unknown.

Several European species, besides Fire salamanders, have been shown to be susceptible too, including: Lissotriton italicus, Ichthyosaura alpestris, Pleurodeles waltl, Triturus cristatus, and Neurergus crocatus. Many of these species are adored by us in the hobby (rightfully so!).

If the fungus makes it to North America, it has the potential to not only cause great damage to our native salamander diversity but private collections too. I have read several stories about people's frog collection being wiped out by chytrid fungus, it worries me that the same fate may be possible with my salamanders.

More information can be found below, I hope it helps. For the love of the salamanders, lets get them tested.

I welcome. How to register? To what www address...

mladaboleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 16
Comments: 4
Rep: mladaboleslaw has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderkeeper View Post
I signed up to get a test kit. It seems to me they should just require this testing for all sales or trades for relevant species/situations. Perhaps such a thing could provide additional safety and curb the urge to "ban" species. I forsee interstate bans in the future.
Aaaa sorry
ATTENTION: United States ONLY :-(

mladaboleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: herpguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, this is very interesting. Who is funding the testing? Is it paid for by grants?

herpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

I;m not sure. I signed up, I'll post an update if I ever receive anything.

Old 28th January 2015   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tw1st3dR0s3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm participating! Just received an email to say that kits have been sent. Only problem is that I sort of doubled my salamander collection since registering.

Old 31st January 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

I received my tests the other day. I don't expect to find anything, but since I am growing my collection I want to be 100% sure. If you need more tests done, Research Associates says they can test for both Chytrids

I am planning on using them for all new animals I bring in.

Old 2nd February 2015   #10 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Making this thread a sticky. Free tests are still available.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2015   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: BlakeK has given good advice and informationBlakeK has given good advice and information

Thanks you for all who have participated. We have been receiving swabs over the past few weeks. We will begin the analysis shortly, when all swabs have been returned. At this time we will not be sending out any more test kits.

-Blake

Old 9th June 2015   #12 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Talking Re: Free Chytrid Testing for Salamanders

Any idea if free testing is being done in the UK and how I go about it?
All my animals are healthy, is just as a precaution

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Yeah, I would get my lot tested, they are all healthy, but you never know what you're pouring down the drain when doing water changes.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Autumncrossing has started on the right path

You can get chytrid and ranavirus test kits pretty cheap generally they're about $5. Not sure how accurate they are though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autumncrossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

Free Bsal/Bd testing is being made available once again! Below is the link to sign up to receive kits. At this time we are only offering testing for salamanders in the U.S. and please limit the number of swabs to 40.

Thank you to everybody that participated in the past!

Old 20th October 2015   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I didn't see anything about a chytrid test on that site, just for B.salamandrivorans. Is it a separate form for chytrid testing?

Last edited by Jake; 20th October 2015 at 12:55. Reason: Punctuation
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

We will be running duplex PCR, so swabs will be tested for B. salamandrivorans and B. dendrobatidis in a single test. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 15th January 2016   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hello Everybody,

If you requested a testing kit this early winter please check the email account that you signed up with for an urgent update.

I have been informed that the ruling will also apply to swabs used in the testing kit that come in contact with listed species. For this reason, I will be shipping as many testing kits as I can tomorrow afternoon. I understand that this is very short notice. If the swabs used in your testing kit comes in contact with a species listed under the new rule, it will need to be sent so that it can be received before January 28.

Why is it important to have your salamanders tested before January 28?

The presence of Bsal in private collections is currently unknown. Having your salamanders tested will help provide evidence for understanding if Bsal occurs in private collections. By submitting your test kits, it may support the future of the salamander hobby and it may truly be the last time that this data can be gathered before the door is shut.

If you wish to receive a kit and did not register before registration was closed, send a message to me.

Old 15th January 2016   #19 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Thank you Blake. We want to encourage all US hobbyists to avail of this free testing service. We will be using the results anonymously to show USFWS that private collections don't have this disease. Please test asap because the ban on the 28th will stop us sending test samples over state lines to Blake.

LinkBack