The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

CA Academy of Sciences -- Save the Salamanders

This is a discussion on CA Academy of Sciences -- Save the Salamanders within the Conservation and Habitat Management forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; The California Academy of Sciences has a nice video on their channel about the spread of chytrid in salamanders: *The ...

Conservation and Habitat Management For discussion of the creation and maintenance of wild habitats for caudates and other amphibians, and on amphibian conservation issues.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AdvythAF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2015   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and information
Default CA Academy of Sciences -- Save the Salamanders

The California Academy of Sciences has a nice video on their channel about the spread of chytrid in salamanders:

*The video does not belong to me. I just thought I would share with you all.

Old 16th February 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Autumncrossing has started on the right path

Thank you for sharing !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autumncrossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path
Default Re: CA Academy of Sciences -- Save the Salamanders

So essentially he wants to end the salamander hobby while not addressing any other ways it could spread. I knew the trade in most reptiles would eventually be regulated out of existence but I honestly never through salamanders would hit the lacey act. I certainly hope they don't succeed or our hobby in the US is done for.

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Autumncrossing has started on the right path

Agreed there should at least be the distinction that captive bred newts can cross between state lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autumncrossing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: AdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and informationAdvythAF has given consistently good advice and information

I don't think he is saying that the salamander hobby should be ended. The salamander hobby is important for conservation. I think he is just saying that hobbyists should be careful to not spread chytrid to native populations. (For example, testing their pets for chytrid, disinfecting their pets)

Old 18th February 2015   #6 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvythAF View Post
I don't think he is saying that the salamander hobby should be ended. The salamander hobby is important for conservation. I think he is just saying that hobbyists should be careful to not spread chytrid to native populations. (For example, testing their pets for chytrid, disinfecting their pets)
He talks about not transporting salamanders across state lines. He is not talking about testing before crossing state lines. He is talking about not crossing lines. That sure sounds like shutting the salamander keeping hobby down.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack