The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

B. salamandrivorans in Ichthyosaura alpestris?

This is a discussion on B. salamandrivorans in Ichthyosaura alpestris? within the Conservation and Habitat Management forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; Hi all, I've been reviewing the literature on Bsal for a while now, and I can't find any scholarly articles ...

Conservation and Habitat Management For discussion of the creation and maintenance of wild habitats for caudates and other amphibians, and on amphibian conservation issues.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coggie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Coggie has started on the right path
Default B. salamandrivorans in Ichthyosaura alpestris?

Hi all,

I've been reviewing the literature on Bsal for a while now, and I can't find any scholarly articles on the fungus in Alpine newts. A couple websites note that two individuals that had succumbed to the infection were discovered in Belgium earlier this year, but I can't find an original article that documents this. Does anyone happen to know more about what's going on with them? I realize that the research is ongoing and new enough that it may not have been published yet, but these sites had to have gotten this info from somewhere (and the Martel et al article that they tend to cite as a source doesn't seem to mention Alpines at all).

If anyone could direct me toward a resource that goes into more detail (which doesn't have to be in English), it would be appreciated.

Coggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015   #2 (permalink)
Veterinarian

Nationality:
Rep: herpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgherpvet is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: B. salamandrivorans in Ichthyosaura alpestris?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coggie View Post
Hi all,

I've been reviewing the literature on Bsal for a while now, and I can't find any scholarly articles on the fungus in Alpine newts. A couple websites note that two individuals that had succumbed to the infection were discovered in Belgium earlier this year, but I can't find an original article that documents this. Does anyone happen to know more about what's going on with them? I realize that the research is ongoing and new enough that it may not have been published yet, but these sites had to have gotten this info from somewhere (and the Martel et al article that they tend to cite as a source doesn't seem to mention Alpines at all).

If anyone could direct me toward a resource that goes into more detail (which doesn't have to be in English), it would be appreciated.
Not sure if it's the one you're referring to, but Martel et al 2014 at http://salamanderscience.com/wp-cont...aper.full_.pdf reports that they experimentally infected various amphibs including alpine newts (in which it was lethal).

Hope that helps,

Bruce

herpvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Coggie has started on the right path
Default Re: B. salamandrivorans in Ichthyosaura alpestris?

Thanks, Bruce, I appreciate the input. I actually have seen that article, and I'm sure they probably did test Alpines in that study since they are such a common European Salamandrid. What I'm actually more curious about is a Belgian population described at this site:

Alpine Newt mortalities due to B. salamandrivorans | Amphibians.org

I know it's kind of a long shot that anyone here would know more about it than what is commonly available on the web, but with this being such an international community, I thought I'd try my luck.

Coggie is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack