The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How much space for species?

This is a discussion on How much space for species? within the Conservation and Habitat Management forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; I went to a talk last night on amphibian migration and woodland/vernal pools. The state is trying to set up ...

Conservation and Habitat Management For discussion of the creation and maintenance of wild habitats for caudates and other amphibians, and on amphibian conservation issues.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FrogEyes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th February 2012   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default How much space for species?

I went to a talk last night on amphibian migration and woodland/vernal pools. The state is trying to set up a volunteer system to help amphibians at road crossings on the Big Night. Anyway, the speaker was talking about the space needed around vernal ponds. She said that there should only be a small amount of development within 100' of a vernal pond and a different percent 750' around the pond. (I didn't manage to remember the percentages). 750 feet, she said, comes out to about 40 acres necessary around a vernal pond. I am wondering what people think would be the amount of space needed to support a population of, for ex., tiger salamanders. I know that they are pretty much extirpated in NYS but I keep imagining there must be unknown pockets somewhere out there.

The talk was really interesting but I cringed and had to hold my tongue when they asked her the difference between a salamander and a newt and she said, "A newt's skin is more grainy." I didn't want to contradict/embarass her.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog

Last edited by Otterwoman; 29th February 2012 at 22:50.
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: How much space for species?

I just got a couple papers (one a thesis actually) that addressed this topic with regard to the striped newt. This one also references a number of sources which are directly related to your questions, and which you can likely find online or obtain from a library:
http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/Alytes_20...22_Johnson.pdf

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ominojacu has given good advice and informationOminojacu has given good advice and information
Default Re: How much space for species?

I think that there is more to it than how much space is available to support the population. Mole salamanders are dependent on the seasonal flooding of vernal pools. I have seen instances of vernal pools drying up do to distant construction redirecting the water flow. Its unfortunate that much of our construction redirects run-off to sewers and creeks, you can give them all the space in the world but if vernal pools don't fill there is no breeding.

Ominojacu is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack