The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Petition Seeks Strict Protection for 53 US Herps: Whatís Your Opinion?

This is a discussion on Petition Seeks Strict Protection for 53 US Herps: Whatís Your Opinion? within the Conservation and Habitat Management forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; Hi All, Iíve recently posted information concerning a petition that seeks Endangered Species Act protection for 53 US herps. Many ...

Conservation and Habitat Management For discussion of the creation and maintenance of wild habitats for caudates and other amphibians, and on amphibian conservation issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2012   #1 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Petition Seeks Strict Protection for 53 US Herps: Whatís Your Opinion?

Hi All,

Iíve recently posted information concerning a petition that seeks Endangered Species Act protection for 53 US herps. Many readers applauded the news, but some were concerned about potential limitations on their ability to keep protected species. As they correctly pointed out, responsible pet owners have made important contributions to the conservation of many species (please see article below). In the course of my work as a zoologist, Iíve often dealt with federal, state and international permits, and continue to assist zoos with related issues. Today Iíd like to explain a bit more about this proposal, which was championed by the Center for Biological Diversity, and how it may impact target species in the wild and captivity. Iíve also summarized the status of several rare species that receive very little protection as of now. Read article here: Reptile & Amphibian Conservation - Protection Sought for 53 US Natives | That Reptile Blog.

Comments and questions appreciated. As I do not place notices here each time I post a new article on That Reptile Blog, you may wish to check in periodically or subscribe; you can do so here That Reptile Blog. Please also check out my posts on Twitter Twitter.

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals Iíve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog
Face Book Frank Indiviglio | Facebook

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Petition Seeks Strict Protection for 53 US Herps: Whatís Your Opinion?

I fully support this. I also support expensive licensing, permits and strict enforcement. I see no reason for any exceptions nor do I see any defense against the concept. Statistic data proves that most folks have no business keeping animals.

Far too many pet owners should not be able to have any pets, let alone children.

Now, before the flamespraying starts, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I accept this. However, as it was asked, this is my opinion on the subject.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Petition Seeks Strict Protection for 53 US Herps: Whatís Your Opinion?

I have long thought an animal keeping license (with a cool animal keeper card included) is a necessary thing.
I too support strict protections.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 9
Rep: Lamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and informationLamb has given consistently excellent advice and information

I agree that there needs to be more control regarding keeping and collecting herps. I understand the attraction to the rare and hard to find, but I don't believe that threatened or endangered herps should be kept by hobbyists. I believe captive animals of that nature would best serve not only the needs of their species but also of our society if they are kept by zoos, universities, research facilities, etc., with the express caveat that these organizations are involved in educational outreach. And that's not to say that hobbyists or passionate herp keepers don't do great jobs at caring for animals, some do. Equally, some employees working for the previously mentioned organizations aren't capable keepers.

I think another important step would be to have an actual herp collecting license. As it stands in the majority of states, herp collection can be done under a general fishing licence. This means that the money from the licence goes to fishing organizations, not herp oriented organizations. That money could be an important source of funding for protection, management, and research. This whole concept was relayed to me by a friend who heard someone else discuss it at the most recent world herp conference.

Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ominojacu has given good advice and informationOminojacu has given good advice and information

I believe conservation is about preserving nature. The problem however with ownership bans is that they do not also put the same emphasis on preserving natural environments. So in many cases we hobbiest get to sit by and watch as our favorite species is plowed under to make way for a parking lot, while being poo-pooed for wanting to own an endangered species. I can't legally own a Scarlet Snake in Maryland, but everyday I see town house projected destroying potential habitat. Collecting should be regulated, but real emphasis on protection needs to be the preservation of habitat, that is my opinion.

Ominojacu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amphibian conservation, endangered species act, reptile conservation

LinkBack