The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

2014 is named the "Year of the Salamander" by Conservation Groups

This is a discussion on 2014 is named the "Year of the Salamander" by Conservation Groups within the Conservation and Habitat Management forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. Iím a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, ...

Conservation and Habitat Management For discussion of the creation and maintenance of wild habitats for caudates and other amphibians, and on amphibian conservation issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2014   #1 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default 2014 is named the "Year of the Salamander" by Conservation Groups

Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. Iím a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
Salamanders and newts, often overlooked by pet keepers, zoos and environmentalists alike, are getting some much-needed exposure this year. Led by the Partnership for Amphibian and Reptile Conservation, a consortium of environmental groups has designated 2014 as the Year of the Salamander. Iím very pleased, as past efforts, including the Year of the Snake and the Year of the Lizard, have done much to advance reptile conservation.
Even among my Bronx Zoo colleagues, I was considered somewhat strange when I began writing a book on newt and salamander natural history and captive care some 17 years ago. But I have been very lucky, salamander-wise. Perhaps because so few people were interested, many fascinating opportunities came my way. Whether crossing the USA and Japan in search of my favorite species or caring for those in my home collection Ė several of which are now aged 25 to 35 Ė Iíve never tired of learning about them, and remain as passionate today as I was in childhood. Read the rest of this article here 2014 is Named
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals Iíve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014   #2 (permalink)
Ted
(Ted)

Nationality:
Rep: Ted has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately
Default Re: 2014 is named the "Year of the Salamander" by Conservation Groups

Quote:
Originally Posted by findi View Post
Hi, Frank Indiviglio here. Iím a herpetologist, zoologist, and book author, recently retired from a career spent at several zoos, aquariums, and museums, including over 20 years with the Bronx Zoo.
Salamanders and newts, often overlooked by pet keepers, zoos and environmentalists alike, are getting some much-needed exposure this year. Led by the Partnership for Amphibian and Reptile Conservation, a consortium of environmental groups has designated 2014 as the Year of the Salamander. Iím very pleased, as past efforts, including the Year of the Snake and the Year of the Lizard, have done much to advance reptile conservation.
Even among my Bronx Zoo colleagues, I was considered somewhat strange when I began writing a book on newt and salamander natural history and captive care some 17 years ago. But I have been very lucky, salamander-wise. Perhaps because so few people were interested, many fascinating opportunities came my way. Whether crossing the USA and Japan in search of my favorite species or caring for those in my home collection Ė several of which are now aged 25 to 35 Ė Iíve never tired of learning about them, and remain as passionate today as I was in childhood. Read the rest of this article here 2014 is Named
Please also check out my posts on Twitter http://bitly.com/JP27Nj and Facebook http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

My Bio, with photos of animals Iíve been lucky enough to work with: That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

Best Regards, Frank
Frank,,,year of the salamander sounds pretty good to me,,,can I ask you,what salamander in your private collection is 35 years old?

Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014   #3 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Frank,,,year of the salamander sounds pretty good to me,,,can I ask you,what salamander in your private collection is 35 years old?

Hi, thanks for your interest..it is a Black-chinned red salamander, Pseudotriton ruber schencki; I thought this odd for such a small salamander, but since have learned of several northern reds in their late 20's in a public collection, best, Frank

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2014   #4 (permalink)
Ted
(Ted)

Nationality:
Rep: Ted has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

Quote:
Originally Posted by findi View Post
Hi, thanks for your interest..it is a Black-chinned red salamander, Pseudotriton ruber schencki; I thought this odd for such a small salamander, but since have learned of several northern reds in their late 20's in a public collection, best, Frank
Wow,,,I had no idea,the pseudotriton had such a lifespan..you must have a world record,what would that be in salamander years,? I have a ruber ,7 in and only 4 yrs old.hard to believe he's just getting started..I wonder ,the spring salamander must be similar..long long lifespan? Thanks for the reply

Ted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conservation

LinkBack