The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Axolotl Intelligence

This is a discussion on Axolotl Intelligence within the Other Scientific Studies forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; Hiya, I'm putting together a basic overview of Axolotl Behaviour, for a Animal Behaviour module at university, and I'm wondering ...

Other Scientific Studies For discussion of scientific studies not covered under other "science & politics" topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cruor is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Axolotl Intelligence

Hiya,

I'm putting together a basic overview of Axolotl Behaviour, for a Animal Behaviour module at university, and I'm wondering about studies relating to Axolotl intelligence, I've heard mention on the net of axolotls and instrumental conditioning, and some debate whether they perform classical conditioning, operant conditioning and other different definitions, but I've found no actual studies, and was hoping people here knew of any such papers or studies, I haven't been able to find any yet. I was also wondering about defensive behaviour, you know as in the wild they're used to being pretty much the biggest thing save interference by us or other invasive. I only know of snapping, and then fleeing, but that's about it.

Thanks,
Ben.

Cruor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2011   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Axolotl Intelligence

I haven't heard of a lot of research on axolotl behavior, but I'm sure some has been done. You might want to try contacting the Axolotl colony
Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center
(since you have a university affiliation, they may be willing to help point you in the right direction)
or perhaps contact some researchers, such as H. Eisthen:
Department of Zoology - Heather L. Eisthen

Old 22nd August 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: apileofclothes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Axolotl Intelligence

Classical and Instrumental (operant) conditioning occurs pretty far down the phylogenetic scale- at least as far down as the Fruit Fly, if not in even more primitive organisms. Some say even in certain worms. The criteria seems to be having a central nervous system.

apileofclothes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, conditioning, intelligence, learning

LinkBack