The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Toxins of eastern newts, Notophthalmus

This is a discussion on Toxins of eastern newts, Notophthalmus within the Other Scientific Studies forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; With Johnny's recent experiences and ensuing discussion, I thought this paper I just happened across would be of interest: Chemical ...

Other Scientific Studies For discussion of scientific studies not covered under other "science & politics" topics.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By FrogEyes
  • 2 Post By orion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2012   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Toxins of eastern newts, Notophthalmus

With Johnny's recent experiences and ensuing discussion, I thought this paper I just happened across would be of interest:
Chemical Defense of the Eastern Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens): Variation in Efficiency against Different Consumers and in Different Habitats

PLoS ONE: Chemical Defense of the Eastern Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens): Variation in Efficiency against Different Consumers and in Different Habitats

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Toxins of eastern newts, Notophthalmus

Thank you for sharing this, it was a very interesting read!
The suggestion that fish are an indirect cause of lower newt densities was a particularly interesting thought. If bullfrogs are not deterred by tetrodotoxin at all, as it seems, what could be the cause of toxicity from Taricha?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhael View Post
Thank you for sharing this, it was a very interesting read!
The suggestion that fish are an indirect cause of lower newt densities was a particularly interesting thought. If bullfrogs are not deterred by tetrodotoxin at all, as it seems, what could be the cause of toxicity from Taricha?
I too wonder about that given that bullfrogs do not survive tarichatox, but seem to be able to shrug of tetrodotox.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Doh..tarichatoxin, forgot about that....

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 12th March 2012   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Here's another on a very closely related topic:
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/herpetology...ariability.pdf

Variability of tetrodotoxin and of its analogues in the red-spotted newt,
Notophthalmus viridescens (Amphibia: Urodela: Salamandridae)

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: orion is an unknown quantity at this point

We do not have bullfrogs here yet where we have newts. The bullfrogs are not native.
WIKI
"In evolutionary theory, the relationship between the rough-skinned newt and the common garter snake is considered an example of co-evolution. The mutations in the snake’s genes that conferred resistance to the toxin have resulted in a selective pressure that favors newts which produce more potent levels of toxin. Increases in newt toxicity then apply a selective pressure favoring snakes with mutations conferring even greater resistance. This cycle of a predator and prey evolving to one another is sometimes termed an evolutionary arms race and has resulted in the newts producing levels of toxin far in excess of what is needed to kill any other conceivable predator."
Attached Thumbnails
Toxins of eastern newts, Notophthalmus-img_3662.jpg  

orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I checked the distributions of the three species and saw that bullfrogs were present in most of Taricha granulosa country, i ignored the fact that that distribution was new and not the original one for the species. because there was no mention of it and you know, i´m not that familiar with american herps. It makes sense that they´d be vulnerable to Taricha toxins if their cohabitation is a recent event.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 12th March 2012   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhael View Post
I checked the distributions of the three species and saw that bullfrogs were present in most of Taricha granulosa country, i ignored the fact that that distribution was new and not the original one for the species. because there was no mention of it and you know, i´m not that familiar with american herps. It makes sense that they´d be vulnerable to Taricha toxins if their cohabitation is a recent event.

Next to goldfish, bullfrogs are the most invasive species in our country, closely followed by housecats and English starlings. I suspect leopard frogs are on that list too given their use in the live bait trade and their prolific behaviors. I have been unable to find anything concrete on their toxin resistance.

This thread has me brushing up on bufotoxin as well. I am curious if there is and convergence with notos and taricha on this matter, given our more common species will eat anything that moves too.

(Yes, I refuse to use that "anaxyrus' or whatever they heck that dude decided to call american bufonidae now. If you need to make a point, don't go all generation X and throw in a "cool" looking word...)

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: orion is an unknown quantity at this point

The bullfrogs are not here you are wrong the are out in the flats

orion is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack