The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pachytriton article help

This is a discussion on Pachytriton article help within the Other Scientific Studies forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; Hello everyone! For those of you who don't know me my name is Logan Benedict. I am a student to ...

Other Scientific Studies For discussion of scientific studies not covered under other "science & politics" topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 40
Comments: 3
Rep: Logan has shown reliable knowledgeLogan has shown reliable knowledge
Default Pachytriton article help

Hello everyone!
For those of you who don't know me my name is Logan Benedict. I am a student to SIUC and will soon finish my degree in zoology. I am currently in a class called conservation aquaria and will be writing up an article on a plan for successful keeping, breeding, and raising of captive Pachytriton. The idea of this article is that I have unlimited funds and I need to do extensive research on their natural habitat, seasonal variations, and water qualities, etc.

I am certainly not asking anyone to write me a paper but I would love article suggestions or links if you know any. Also for this type of paper I can take testimony of keepers. If possible those of you who have successfully bred and kept this species. Thanks for your time everyone. Oh and I may also throw an exciting picture or two in the paper. Thanks
Logan

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Rep: sallie2010 has started on the right path
Default Re: Pachytriton article help

I did a paper on breeding zebra fish to educate about mitosis. Did you contact your local zoo or university professor that uses the animal? Here is a site Hanken Lab - Research that you may be able to contact them to do an interview.

Good luck and drink lots of coffee! :)

Old 24th March 2012   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: Yahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgYahilles is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I used this when i've been writing an article about Pachytriton:
Finally! Pachytriton breeding

science . naturalis - Pachytriton

Old 26th March 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 40
Rep: Logan has shown reliable knowledgeLogan has shown reliable knowledge

Thanks guys, That was very helpful. I have already contacted a few zoos and aquaria that have them listed. I will let you guys know how that goes and hopefully I can get some keeper/breeder testimony. Thanks again
Logan

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Ignoring the confusion of identifying the eight or more species, there is actually a LOT of published information on Chinese salamanders, including the care and breeding of Pachytriton. However, much of that information is in Chinese in regional university journals. I have yet to be inspired to buy a stack of such papers online, and I have no idea where to find these in a library.

The breeding of farmed Pachytriton labiatus--

I'd have to do some double checking, but the species discussed would likely be P.brevipes or P.xanthospilos, not P."labiatus".

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack