The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Screening my animals for chytrid

This is a discussion on Screening my animals for chytrid within the Other Scientific Studies forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; I got a present from the postage fairy this morning; 40 sterile swabs from a PhD student of Wildlife Epidemiology ...

Other Scientific Studies For discussion of scientific studies not covered under other "science & politics" topics.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By peter5930
  • 1 Post By Jennewt
  • 3 Post By peter5930

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st May 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: peter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Screening my animals for chytrid

I got a present from the postage fairy this morning; 40 sterile swabs from a PhD student of Wildlife Epidemiology at the Institute of Zoology in London, who's conducting research into chytrid in the pet trade. I negotiated a deal in which I get to swab my animals and have them tested for chytrid at no charge (usual 'retail' price is about £24 per test, and the tests each cost the lab £5-10 to perform) as long as I send her any (up to a maximum of 20, and no more than 2 from each enclosure) that test positive so that she can attempt to isolate and culture new strains of the fungus for study (and I might even get the animals back when she's done with them). I have a lot of species that she's never tested before, and I've also asked her if she'd like me to freeze any dead ones I find and send them to her.

peter5930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Screening my animals for chytrid

Good deal! I'd be interested in hearing the results. Otterwoman and I are the only people that I know of who have tested any pet caudates. We both tested one animal from each of 8 enclosures (total of 16 swabs, roughly 16 species). All were negative.

Old 2nd May 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: peter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and informationpeter5930 has given consistently excellent advice and information

I think xxianxx had his animals tested, possibly by this same researcher. I'm hoping for a nice warm night to bring things out of their burrows and underwater hides so that I can go around my garden and swab them all in one go, although the swabs can be refrigerated for a few days after being used if I need more time to get them all done.

Old 2nd May 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Willlis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and information

Definitely curious about the results. I've seen some positive swabs at my workplaces and always worry about mine at home.

Willlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5930 View Post
I think xxianxx had his animals tested, possibly by this same researcher. I'm hoping for a nice warm night to bring things out of their burrows and underwater hides so that I can go around my garden and swab them all in one go, although the swabs can be refrigerated for a few days after being used if I need more time to get them all done.
I am contacting the researcher, a shop i sold some baby Xenopus to was tested, i would like to see the results as they may indicate wether i have chytrid in my collection.

Old 2nd May 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

The sterile swabs:

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 2nd May 2012   #7 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Unless they've been kept with American Bullfrogs, Horned Frogs, or Xenopus, they're all going to be negative. Prove me wrong though, please.

Old 2nd May 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Unless they've been kept with American Bullfrogs, Horned Frogs, or Xenopus, they're going to all be negative. Prove me wrong though, please.
I'd rather not prove you wrong.

Old 20th May 2012   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

The results are in; all the tests were negative. My animals are chytrid-free.

LinkBack