The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Many amphibian species morph faster in shrinking pond, etc. What causes this?

This is a discussion on Many amphibian species morph faster in shrinking pond, etc. What causes this? within the Other Scientific Studies forums, part of the Herpetological Science & Politics category; The subject header says it all, pretty much. I've done a little searching, and I have access to a LOT ...

Other Scientific Studies For discussion of scientific studies not covered under other "science & politics" topics.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikebenard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 0
Rep: Bill B has started on the right path
Default Many amphibian species morph faster in shrinking pond, etc. What causes this?

The subject header says it all, pretty much. I've done a little searching, and I have access to a LOT of electronic resources of journals, but I don't quite know where to start.

Bill

Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Many amphibian species morph faster in shrinking pond, etc. What causes this?

Primarily it is generally accepted that the change is triggered by a combination of things- age, photoperiod, water temperature, population density, and food availability. It is different for each species, though significant similarities exist.

This is a tough topic to research from scratch, but I would suggest starting with keywords like metamorphosis trigger, larval development, developmental embryology and the like in caudates or urodeles. I suspect though one would be hard pressed to find a specific paper on just this subject. Not too many folks work with caudates these days it seems.

I'll have to do some digging here, I have a few that discuss various ambystomids, a common developmental model, somewhere.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: mikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmikebenard is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Many amphibian species morph faster in shrinking pond, etc. What causes this?

The work coming out of Bob Denver's lab at University of Michigan is a good place:

Denver Lab at the University of Michigan

mikebenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2012   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

What causes shrinking ponds? Current weather conditions affect ponds especially ponds not surrounded by woods or trees. Dry hot weather dries up unprotected ponds easily. Amount of spring rains make a big difference also. I visited a couple ponds this year that usually don't dry up but were completely dry when I saw them. Michigan summer was intense this year.

What causes amphibian larvae in ponds to morph faster? Amphibian larvae are affected by temperature especially. There are many factors that come into play when a pond is shrinking. Density becomes a major factor and I'm assuming the water chemistry changes. Try keeping lots tadpoles in a tank with a heater. You'll have tons of tadpoles with a moving metabolism and they'll morph real fast. Do the opposite and keep 1 tadpole in a tank kept at cool temps and you could have tadpole for 2 years.

This is just my shallow response, didn't want to make a long response.

Old 25th September 2012   #5 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

'metamorphic plasticity' would be another good term to search for.

This has been quite well studied in natterjack toads, and temperature and density seem to be the most important factors in that species.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb View Post
'metamorphic plasticity' would be another good term to search for.

This has been quite well studied in natterjack toads, and temperature and density seem to be the most important factors in that species.
What about the density seems to be the factors? Seeing other larvae, which causes stress?

Old 25th September 2012   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B View Post
What about the density seems to be the factors? Seeing other larvae, which causes stress?
Being crowded. Being in close quarters with other larvae is stressful. I've been to ponds where it was very crowded and dense due to the pond drying up. Everything from tadpoles to newt larvae to salamander larvae had nipped tails. With water levels low the ambient temperature was a lot higher, metabolisms were up. Not to mention the constant use of energy used to evade and dodge every other second because there's a lack of hiding spots in high density.

Old 25th September 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Ponds which have Wood Frogs especially have nipped tails in them. I visited pond a couple summers ago, and it was crowded with Gray Treefrog and Wood Frog tadpoles. The Wood Frog tads had apparently nipped off tads of Grays and fellow Woods.

Old 25th September 2012   #9 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

In some cases itīs known that the concentration of specific chemicals that are released by the animals cause physiological responses that cascade into hormonal shifts. I suppose the mere sight of conspecifics could also be a factor, but i donīt know that this has been confirmed in amphibians.

All the factors that have been mentioned, like temperature, photoperiod, food availability, etc, ultimately cause direct physiological responses.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhael View Post
In some cases itīs known that the concentration of specific chemicals that are released by the animals cause physiological responses
Microbes can be involved as well- tadpole growth has been shown to be affected by increased amounts of particular yeasts, for example. I don't know if this is known to affect metamorphosis, though.

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack