The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Danube crested

This is a discussion on Danube crested within the Photo & Video Gallery forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; Hello, here are some recent shots of wild animals. All specimens which I observed suffer from some kind of fungus ...

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By juraj
  • 2 Post By juraj
  • 1 Post By Salamanderfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Danube crested

Hello,
here are some recent shots of wild animals. All specimens which I observed suffer from some kind of fungus but it doesn't seem to be harmful for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Danube crested-dsc_2130.jpg   Danube crested-dsc_2135.jpg   Danube crested-dsc_2144.jpg   Danube crested-dsc_2152.jpg   Danube crested-dsc_21521.jpg  

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Danube crested

Nice pics, where's the fungus ?

Old 23rd June 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hi,
here it is. It is some fungus right ?
j.
Attached Thumbnails
Danube crested-dsc_2192.jpg   Danube crested-dsc_2235.jpg   Danube crested-dsc_2201.jpg  

Old 24th June 2017   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

That last one seems to have a beard. It looks like a fungus indeed, but not one I've seen before.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The animals look in excellent condition but I would be worried if they were in my tanks with that fungus. To the op , Do they typically have this all year round ? Have you seen any dead ones or read reports of die offs ?

Old 26th June 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

I noticed it on animals in the spring 2016 for first time and I cannot tell if they have it year round because I can observe animals only in the spring and early summer. Later is much more difficult because of dense vegetation.
I havn't seen any specimen in visibly bad condition all of them looked like those on the photo. To me it looks like a "cosmetic" issue. Truly these animals were not very photogenic.
j.

Old 23rd July 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I'm not sure if it's related, but I was reading this page on Amphibiaweb and thought of this thread straight away. Unfortunately there's no pics of the "lichen like" growths, but it sounds very similar.

AmphibiaWeb - Cynops ensicauda

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Salamanderfire has given consistently good advice and informationSalamanderfire has given consistently good advice and informationSalamanderfire has given consistently good advice and information

Difficult to tell from the photo, but maybe it is not fungus but a colony of vorticella.
Those often settle on snails, shells, shrimps or crayfish. I haven't seen them colonizing a newt's skin yet, but they can settle on any suitable surface.

Salamanderfire is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack