The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Aneides aeneus painting

This is a discussion on Aneides aeneus painting within the Photo & Video Gallery forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; As promised, here is a pic of my latest sal painting partially based upon pics from Mike Graziano. I'm not ...

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2005   #1 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

As promised, here is a pic of my latest sal painting partially based upon pics from Mike Graziano. I'm not at all impressed at the quality of pictures I've been able to take of my paintings lately so I don't feel this captures the depth of the colors very well. But anyway, check it out. Comments/criticisms welcome:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12th November 2005   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hi John, I like it. Since you asked for some critiques, the main problem I see is that the head just doesn't look right. But it's good to see people still working on good herp art even in the age of cheap digital cameras. Sometimes good illustrations and paintings are far better at capturing the beauty of herps, especially in a natural setting, than photos. I particularly like herp paintings by David Dennis.

Old 12th November 2005   #3 (permalink)
terry

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hello John! As an artistic representation, this is a beautiful picture.

Mike, in my opinion, some people draw or paint but not always in a photorealistic way. Some japanese watercolour paintings of andrias and other salamanders look no way like the real thing proportionally. I'd like to think if this as a "romantic" or "poetic"view of the salamander. It sure made me smile and gaze upon it.

Old 12th November 2005   #4 (permalink)
micha

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I encounter the same problems when photographing my art. I found that a simple photoprogram(adope photoshop is even better) can enhance(?) the colours and the contrast a bit.
I've taken the liberty of making an example with your painting.
(Somewhat like this)
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 14th November 2005   #5 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Micha, I have photoshop but i really don't know a whole lot on it yet. My preference is to avoid computer highlighting of my works if i can. But my lighting and camera are so poor that it is probably necessary to do some of that. The biggest thing I'm not satisfied with is the eyes. I'm definitely going to rework that area some. I had so much trouble with that rock that I just wanted to get this thing finished and over with, LOL.

Old 15th November 2005   #6 (permalink)
micha

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I see what you mean with the eyes, the rock turned out very nice though. I especially like your use of colour.
Photographs hold more colour if you use natural light.(No flash light. flashlight tends to be too bright, depending on the distance and quality of the camera, and therefore it dulls all colours) Wait for a nice bright day and take the picture in daylight.
If you use photoshop try only to change the brightness and the contrast. This will give a very natural result.
But photographing art is an art in itself.
Goodluck!

(Message edited by cyanurus on November 15, 2005)

Tags
aeneus, aneides, painting

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 4 (Set)

Jake, SalamanderAlan, sinomoyyhi89, stanleyc
LinkBack