The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Spring creatures in Michigan

This is a discussion on Spring creatures in Michigan within the Photo & Video Gallery forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; Since it finally warmed up in Michigan, I went out exploring this weekend and found that a few creatures have ...

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mark
  • 1 Post By mark

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th April 2005   #1 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Since it finally warmed up in Michigan, I went out exploring this weekend and found that a few creatures have started stirring about, and some are at their breeding ponds.
I was especially happy to get pictures of the chorus frog, because although I always hear them, it is rare for me to actually spot one.

Click the image to open in full size.
Spotted Salamander - Ambystoma maculatum

Another shot of that salamander

Another A maculatum. This one has a lot of yellow on its head.

Redback Salamander - Plethodon cinereus

Redback Salamander ("leadback phase)

Western Chorus Frog - Pseudacris triseriata

Another shot of the chorus frog

Wood Frog - Rana sylvatica

Another wood frog

...and a garter snake - Thamnophis sirtalis

Here's a shot of one of the vernal pools where they were found.
Hope you like the pictures.

Old 5th April 2005   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: andrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.organdrew is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Hey Mark,

Nice pictures! I really like that heavily spotted maculatum. Where are you in MI? Must be in the southern part of the state because I haven't seen/heard any amphibians yet up in Gaylord. It did reach 70* F today, though! Thank god that long winter is over.

Andrew Myers

andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2005   #3 (permalink)
nicholas

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nice pictures, Mark. I've been finding some of the same animals, but no salamanders. If you live nearby, I'd really like to head out in the woods with you.

Old 6th April 2005   #4 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks.

I live in Utica (metro Detroit area, near Sterling Heights, Auburn Hills, etc.)

Nicholas, I'd be up for heading out sometime. I just went again today after work (I'll do a new post), and might not go out any time until next week. I can send you an email with some pointers if you want - there are areas nearby where you can see some salamanders.

Old 6th April 2005   #5 (permalink)
nicholas

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm familiar with Utica, I go to school at Macomb Community College. I live in Algonac, which is sorta between New Baltimore and Marine City. We live kinda close to each other. Let me know what your plans are next week, I'll probably be available to head out in the woods with you.

In the meantime, locations would be great. I'll be checking my e-mail here and there, if you decide to send some info. I've got aim too: xamphibiax, but I don't stay logged in for long.

Old 15th February 2012   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Reptileboy2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spring creatures in Michigan

OK i know these pictures where taken a few years ago but you by any chance remember where in UTICA the Salamander pictures where taken i am doing a Biology project and my topic if on Salamander so i just wanted to see them in there natural habitat and get some information of them i live in Sterling Heights, MI so i close to Utica.
Any information would be really great
Thanks

Reptileboy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Reptileboy2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mark i live in Sterling heights, Mi and i know these pictures were takin awhile ago but do you by any chance remember where in Utica you found the salamanders i'm going to try Herping this spring and would really love to find some in there natural habitat.

Reptileboy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

These are all pretty common species. This forum (and most herpers in general) won't ever give out specific locations. Head to the woods and see what you can find!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creatures, michigan, spring

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 64 (Set)

Alejandro, Argus654, axolotlfreak56, Azhael, beefsteak, BlakeK, caudatadude28, cynopsonico, daedae, david_d, deliriah, EasternNewtLove, eljorgo, fabian, FrogEyes, frogman, Greatwtehunter, icecoolsupersta, instanbull, Italicus, Jennewt, JessKB, Jus10, JV, jvy, Kaysie, keynewt, liam, Logan, MadiIBtt, MarioR, maxim, mercuryts, methodik, mgftp, Molch, Neil C, Nettuno, odalisque, ogkanine, otolith, Ozherp, puszek204, pyroninja1524, rachel1, Reptileboy2012, Revan, Rework87, saydemir, schoolofperch, Shannon, shultzbaby, Sifaka, skyler, slater, smily sam, stanleyc, sylvey, trailsofslime, Vort, warrior, Wildebeestking, Yahilles
LinkBack