The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Aneides aeneus

This is a discussion on Aneides aeneus within the Photo & Video Gallery forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; Had a short business trip to KY this week, so as usual I squeezed in a little herping. It was ...

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th September 2004   #1 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Had a short business trip to KY this week, so as usual I squeezed in a little herping. It was overcast, ~75F and drizzly with the remnants of Ivan moving inland (perfect!). I came across this excellent habitat for A.aeneus (note the cool shirt). <center>Click the image to open in full size.</center> I kid you not the very first crack I looked in look what was staring back. <center>Click the image to open in full size.</center> I coaxed it out and sure enough it was a juvy aeneus. <center>Click the image to open in full size.</center> I found several juveniles within a few minutes but strangely no adults. I finally came across this big male in a large vertical crack. <center>Click the image to open in full size.</center> Soon after I found this young female out in the open. Keep in mind it was only 4:30 in the afternoon! <center>Click the image to open in full size.</center> Not bad for an hour.

RUSS

Old 18th September 2004   #2 (permalink)
erik

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nice! So was this near the area I described? I knew it looked good. That's awesome.

Old 18th September 2004   #3 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You were on the money about this spot. Just a ton of awesome habitat. I'll drop you a note with more details when I get to the office.

RUSS

Old 19th September 2004   #4 (permalink)
ralf

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks for "squeezing" these pics into the forum, Russ. Now I know that there's more than racehorses, bluegrass and bourbon in KY. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 20th September 2004   #5 (permalink)
ira

Gallery Images:
Comments:

just out of curiousity, how did you coax them out of the rocks?

Old 20th September 2004   #6 (permalink)
russ

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I carry a piece of clothes hanger with the tip folded back on it's self (I can never get that sharp edge off all the way). A couple I just touched with a pine needle. It doesn't take much to get them moving, they're very wiry and fast.

RUSS

Old 24th September 2004   #7 (permalink)
nic

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You guys are magicians.Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
aeneus, aneides

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 6 (Set)

Aneides, MattM, panzjr, SalamanderAlan, sinomoyyhi89, skyler
LinkBack