The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

New to Caudata.org...

This is a discussion on New to Caudata.org... within the Photo & Video Gallery forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; I'm new here, just wanted to share some pictures from the field. Newt and salamander season is picking up here ...

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 0
Rep: David Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and information
Default New to Caudata.org...

I'm new here, just wanted to share some pictures from the field.

Newt and salamander season is picking up here in the central valley of California. I should have some updated and better pictures of A. californiense soon. In the meantime, an old pic (resized way too at some point) of a cali tiger:

Click the image to open in full size.

This next one is of one of our most attractive salamanders in the Sierra Nevadas, Ensatina eschscholtzii platensis. It's a very old pic from my old camera. My goal this year is to locate and photograph the platensis x xanthoptica hybrid that occurs naturally in my area.

I'm a big Ambystoma fan. Finding Ambystoma macrodactylum sigillatum in the northern portion of the sierras, was a real treat.

Here's one of my better Sierra Newt - Taricha torosa sierrae shots. You could easly find 200+ sierra newts in one afternoon during the month of March. That's if you cared that much to see that many....

Oh, and a little bit of fun with Fire-Bellied Newts....

David Tobler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org

High quality shots David

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008   #3 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 17
Comments: 43
Rep: gr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.orggr33neyes is a mainstay of Caudata.org

David those shots are great, I especially love the colours of the fire bellied newts.

Old 1st February 2008   #4 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Exceptional pixs David!

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2008   #5 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing those wonderful photos. I am curious about the California tigers - how does one go about legally photographing them - do you need a permit and if so how is one acquired?

Old 2nd February 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: David Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and informationDavid Tobler has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Welcome to the site and thank you for sharing those wonderful photos. I am curious about the California tigers - how does one go about legally photographing them - do you need a permit and if so how is one acquired?
Legally, you're not even supposed to search/hunt for the CTS, by definition of "take" under the Federal Endangered Species Act. Let alone touch one, or pose it for a picture!

Permits are issued by CA Fish and Game to anyone conducting surveys on the CTS. Though, it's not JUST anyone who gets these permits. There are a few organizations and corporations that conduct survey's on the CTS.

I just happen to know a few people that have such permits.

Old 2nd February 2008   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I dream of having that belly shot printed on wallpaper and applied all over my house. I suppose I have strange ideas about interior decorating. Terrific pictures, thanks for sharing!

Old 2nd February 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Aitortxu has started on the right path

Very, very beautiful pictures.

Aitortxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post
I dream of having that belly shot printed on wallpaper and applied all over my house. I suppose I have strange ideas about interior decorating. Terrific pictures, thanks for sharing!
Hahaha...maybe you do! Thanks for the compliment.

Old 4th February 2008   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Comments: 1
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Beautiful photos

Your pictures are awesome. You should definately enter the photo competition.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimy2 View Post
Your pictures are awesome. You should definately enter the photo competition.

Thanks for the compliment and the suggestion. Other than my Sierra Newt shot and some Southern Long-Toed Salamander shots, I really don't have many other decent Caudata pics. I've focused primarly on snake photography, though this past year I've leaned towards taking pics of amphibians.

Here's a couple OT frog and toad pics:

Old 4th February 2008   #12 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Haha @ tomato frog! Excellent! (although I hope no frogs were harmed in the making).

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008   #13 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Yes but where's the beef?

Old 4th February 2008   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: radtad has given good advice and informationradtad has given good advice and informationradtad has given good advice and information

What great pics very creative with the subjects

radtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: tdimler has given consistently good advice and informationtdimler has given consistently good advice and informationtdimler has given consistently good advice and informationtdimler has given consistently good advice and information

David---Great to see you posting here...I've seen your posts elsewhere. Your photography is really nice....what is your flash setup like?

Travis

tdimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: lims has given good advice and informationlims has given good advice and information
Wink

yea, they're really good, I love that frog just after the tomato frog

lims is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caudataorg

LinkBack