The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pseudobranchus axanathus feeding

This is a discussion on Pseudobranchus axanathus feeding within the Photo & Video Gallery forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; Here is a video of a couple Pseudobranchus axanathus axanathus during feeding time. The beginning of the video shows one ...

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2008   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Pseudobranchus axanathus feeding

Here is a video of a couple Pseudobranchus axanathus axanathus during feeding time. The beginning of the video shows one almost in the center of the screen, somewhat hidden in the shadows, getting ready to feed on the mass of blackworms in front of it. This group seems very shy while I'm near the tank (unlike my newts). You have to look closely to see them for the first half, but after that they become more active. The substrate in the tank is not pea gravel, it's play sand, the sirens are just so small it looks like gravel.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: coendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Pseudobranchus axanathus feeding

Excellent video Jacob, and a nice setup! Thanks for sharing.

coendeurloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008   #3 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Alejandro has given consistently good advice and informationAlejandro has given consistently good advice and informationAlejandro has given consistently good advice and information

I agree with Coen. Excellent, Jacob and thank you very much for sharing.

Alejandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

You must go through a lot of blackworms! Do you raise them or buy them in bulk?
Cool video, Jake!

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2008   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Thanks guys.

Dawn-I go through about 1 pound every week to two weeks depending on if I have a lot of larvae at the time. Raising them for all my animals would take way too much room.

Old 1st October 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: creekcritter has given good advice and informationcreekcritter has given good advice and informationcreekcritter has given good advice and information

Nice Jacob! Thanks for sharing with us. What else have you made vids of?

creekcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekcritter View Post
Nice Jacob! Thanks for sharing with us. What else have you made vids of?
Thanks Tom.

I've made a couple others, nothing really special, this one is kind of lame considering they don't move much, but I like the subjects.

Old 2nd October 2008   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 33
Comments: 7
Rep: Daniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgDaniel is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Good Job, Jacob! Very well done and interesting to see.

I like the setup - what is the size of the tank and what size are the sirens?

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2008   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Axel01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

Echo that superb. There's something almost Chinese dragon like about them. I wonder if they are available in the UK

Axel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post

The tank is 45 gallons, the sirens are all around 6-6.5 inches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel01 View Post
Echo that superb. There's something almost Chinese dragon like about them. I wonder if they are available in the UK
If they are available in the UK they probably cost a LOT of money! I know there are a couple people keeping them over there though.

Old 3rd October 2008   #11 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Most interesting Jake, thanks for sharing.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axanathus, feeding, pseudobranchus

LinkBack