The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pseudotriton ruber

This is a discussion on Pseudotriton ruber within the Photo & Video Gallery forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; Here are a few of the Pseudotriton ruber in my collection. This is one of the only times I've seen ...

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2008   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Pseudotriton ruber

Here are a few of the Pseudotriton ruber in my collection. This is one of the only times I've seen this many out and about so I decided to take a video. It's during feeding time (note the chopped worms). Pay no attention to the ending, I tried to get the Lissotriton vulgaris tank in there, but they're difficult to see.

Sorry for my consistently poor video quality, but I've noticed a lack of videos being posted.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Pseudotriton ruber

You lucky ba....... :P
Lovely looking animals indeed. I also fell in love with the P.axanthus, youre very lucky. Please posts as many videos as you want :) I for one enjoy them a lot.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: coendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.orgcoendeurloo is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Nothing wrong with the quality, I enjoyed it very much...let's start a video posting hype.

coendeurloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008   #4 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Jake, your videos are great - once again, thanks for sharing.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Wow, I thought they were terrestrial. Do they ever come out of the water?

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Great video. I have the same question as Dawn. Do they remain aquatic all year or is this just seasonal, and have you had any breeding success?

Alex

tylototriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
Wow, I thought they were terrestrial. Do they ever come out of the water?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylototriton View Post
Great video. I have the same question as Dawn. Do they remain aquatic all year or is this just seasonal, and have you had any breeding success?

Alex
During the warmer months they were mostly terrestrial, but since it's cooled down quite a bit I often find them hiding under rocks at the botton of the water area of the tank.

I have not had any breeding success with this species, but hope to one day.

Old 4th October 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 6
Rep: Slimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and informationSlimy2 has given consistently good advice and information
Thumbs up Re: Pseudotriton ruber

Awesome video and awesome sals. I wish I still had my old P. ruber now. Yours are so beautifully colored.

Slimy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Very nice animals Jake!
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I recently moved this group from a 55 gallon to a 75 gallon tank on the floor near the window. It's considerably colder there. I've been noticing increaced activity since the move, much more than in the summer months. Here are a few more videos of them in their new enclosure.

Old 10th October 2008   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

"Al pasar por la ventana, me tirastes un limon" xDDDDDDDD
Is that the kind of music do you normally listen to? I find the music of your videos to be very funny indeed :)

Cracking animales too! Ive always liked this species, it definitely looks like a very interesting and beautiful animal to keep. Lets hope that increase of activity leads to breeding, it would be brilliant.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgtylototriton is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I have to say Jacob, the more I look at your setup the more I like it. I think that I am definitely going to have to try this setup. Are the stacked rocks secured with anything, or do they just balance like that? Gorgeous setup, keep the videos coming, and i've got my fingers crossed for some breeding.

Alex

Old 10th October 2008   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhael View Post
"Al pasar por la ventana, me tirastes un limon" xDDDDDDDD
Is that the kind of music do you normally listen to? I find the music of your videos to be very funny indeed :)

Cracking animales too! Ive always liked this species, it definitely looks like a very interesting and beautiful animal to keep. Lets hope that increase of activity leads to breeding, it would be brilliant.
Yes, that is the music I always listen to. I leave it on all the time in the newt room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylototriton View Post
I have to say Jacob, the more I look at your setup the more I like it. I think that I am definitely going to have to try this setup. Are the stacked rocks secured with anything, or do they just balance like that? Gorgeous setup, keep the videos coming, and i've got my fingers crossed for some breeding.

Alex
The rocks are not secured with anything, but they're sturdy enough that even if all 10 were to push their weight on them they wouldn't fall. There is also no need to worry about the tank/stand getting bumped because it weighs too much and is on the floor.

Old 11th October 2008   #14 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Rep: dane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and information

Jacob, your tank and animals are stunning, I love your videos.

Old 11th October 2008   #15 (permalink)
Herpetologist & Author

Nationality:
Rep: findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)findi has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Jacob,
Thanks very much for the videos and info. I'm not in touch with anyone who has bred them...a friend who kept black-chinned red salalmanders, P. r. schencki found that they remained active at 40 F and showed some breeeding behavior the year after being chilled, so I think quite a chill might be needed to stimulate yours.

Just as an aside, I have 1 of my friend's black chins, which is now 25-28 years old. My friend, Bob Holland, passed away about 10 years ago. In the 60's-70's he was keeping and breeding all sorts of odd, ignored little creatures, long before most zoos were able, many still not give much attention..had dart frogs in their teens, Cuban and banded tree snails, unusual mosses and ferns, and so on. He would have been so pleasantly surprised by the interest and fine information generated by this site. Best, Frank.

findi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by findi View Post
Jacob,
...a friend who kept black-chinned red salalmanders, P. r. schencki found that they remained active at 40 F and showed some breeeding behavior the year after being chilled, so I think quite a chill might be needed to stimulate yours.
I plan to give them quite a chill! Last year I kept the window in the caudate room open during the winter and the temps stayed around 40 degrees for about two months. The lowest the air temp got was 36 degrees for a few days. The tanks nearest the window froze over a few times during the coldest part of winter. I plan to let the water in their tank freeze over, hopefully that'll be enough encouragement for them.

Old 12th October 2008   #17 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 7
Rep: grius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Thats som awsome sals!! i can se a resemblens between them and loepard geckos/Eublepharis macularius in appearnace

Cheers and good luck with breeding them!

grius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Axel01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I love being able to see them animals moving. It gives so much more information than static images you just do not know how an animal moves. And they can be stunning.

These Pseudotriton are great.

Axel01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pseudotriton, ruber

LinkBack