The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Triturus Dobrogicus Larvae

This is a discussion on Triturus Dobrogicus Larvae within the Photo & Video Gallery forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; Here are some pics of my larvae and one of some morphs. I have around 40 larvae and morphs. The ...

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd July 2009   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 14
Comments: 21
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information
Default Triturus Dobrogicus Larvae

Here are some pics of my larvae and one of some morphs. I have around 40 larvae and morphs.

The smallest larvae, 1-2.5 inches:

Click the image to open in full size.

A large larvae, 2.5-3.5 inches:

Some morphs, 3.5-4.5 inches:

caudatadude28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 10
Rep: oregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and informationoregon newt has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Triturus Dobrogicus Larvae

Nice! So...what are you going to do with all of the larvae?

Old 2nd July 2009   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information

I am going to sell them in bulk to someone.

Old 3rd July 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Pretty sweet stuff AJ! Nothing better than watching newts go full cycle.

Thanks for the update!

Mitch

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Here are two more photos of morphs:

Note yellow stripe:

A clump of large morphs(3-4.5 inches)

Old 10th July 2009   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Here is another photo of morphs:

Here is the setup for 5 big morphs:

Here is the setup for the 10 small morphs:

Old 10th July 2009   #7 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: Nathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgNathan050793 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Very nice, AJ! Keep up the awesome work!

Wollemi
(Look around you)
-Australian Aboriginal saying

Nathan050793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Thanks, I hope to breed them this winter too. Actually I know they will breed but I hope to raise larvae, I may not have time though. I may just sell some eggs this winter.

Old 11th July 2009   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I have some more pics, sorry for posting so many.lol.

Here are some female morphs near the surface. Note the yellow lines on thier backs. Is it normal for dobro morphs to have such yellow lines on thier backs? I love them.

Here is a little male. 1 of 3. So far only 3 males out of 13 morphs. Is that normal to have so many females?

Also if anyone wants to trade some popei for dobrogicus, give me a pm. I would prefer aquatic popei or some that are close to going aquatic.

Old 11th July 2009   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: zack1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it's normal to only be able to sex out a few males at first. I'm sure some that look like females right now are actually males, just difficult to tell right now. Very nice looking animals.

zack1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

If you are using the yellow stripe as a sign of gender....youīre very much mistaken.
My two juveniles are male and female, and itīs the male who has the yellow stripe.

And yes, itīs perfectly normal. You seem to have a rather large percentage of animals with the stripe so itīs possible your dobrogicus come from a bloodline that was contaminated at some point with T.carnifex...it happens.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org

It is very interesting idea Azhael and would definitely explain the well defined yellow strip down the back along with the large volume of white dots.

While sexing these dobrogicus based on the yellow line is not by any means 100% accurate, knowing that the yellow line shows up predominately more in females than males, (especially in carnifex) this would be an educated assumption. Will all of the dobros with the
large yellow stripes be female, probably not but I’d be willing to bet the majority will be.
Beautiful newts AJ, I would be very proud of these guys! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Mitch

Old 12th July 2009   #13 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

The fact that it predominates in females in the case of T.carnifex doesnīt mean it works the same way in other Triturus species.
To me the yellow stripe is linked to a particular coloration, specially rich in iridophores, not to sex, but then again my experience is limited.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 13th July 2009   #14 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I now have a sex ratio of 6:7. The females have the yellow stripes and the males have crests. The parents don't have yellow stripes so they may fade and look like the parents eventually. It is gorgeous though.

Old 13th July 2009   #15 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I agree it looks great. It will fade away as soon as they mature. It will become an orangy/brownish colour in the females.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 17th July 2009   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

About the yellow stripe, only some females have it. I made a new setup for the 13 small morphs because of feeding frenzies. One little newt lost a back leg. I was crushed! I instantly gave them a bigger cage with more plants to hide and rest in. Here are some pics.

Here is the new setup.

Here are some more of the morphs:

One of the male morph's crest is growing more and more slowly. I am wondering if he is going to get in breeding condition soon. He is a larger morph(4-4.5 inches) so I guess he could. I doubt it though. The parents bred successfully when they were 10-13 months old. I didnt try to breed them. He is 4-5 months old so he is definately to young.

Old 23rd July 2009   #17 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I mentioned the male morph with a crest, well it is growing still! He is one of the large morphs and I keep a close eye on him. I managed to get two pics of him today. It wasnt very easy though.

Old 23rd July 2009   #18 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 11
Rep: axolotlgangster has started on the right path

There cool next time you have some can i buy 1-2?

axolotlgangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2009   #19 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Yes, one way or another. I will most likely sell them in bulk though. I dont know if people would buy them from me because I have not built up reputation and popularity as a person who sells newts like other people on this site.

Old 23rd July 2009   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:

Nice shots AJ, that is getting quite big for a young little guy! I also think it is interesting to see that the tail shows the white sheen similar to that of the breeding dress.

Mitch

Tags
dobrogicus, larvae, triturus

LinkBack