The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

New A. andersoni

This is a discussion on New A. andersoni within the Photo & Video Gallery forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; I couldn't wait any longer to post pics. Our camera was broken by the kids and I been waiting to ...

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd September 2010   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 2
Rep: JWERNER has started on the right path
Default New A. andersoni

I couldn't wait any longer to post pics. Our camera was broken by the kids and I been waiting to get a hold of a quality camera but I had to use the Crackberry instead,... for now!

Anyhow, Saturday I went to M.A.R.S. and I was slightly disappointing by the variety of Amphibians. No one had a single Newt or Salamander except Mike Shrom and Chip Freeves. Everything was snakes and dragons and well frogs which are way cool but not what I was looking for. Odd cause I thought it was IAD as well. I would imagine a lot more amphibians or at least a better variety.

Here it is purchased off of Mike Shrom.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 23rd September 2010   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 1
Rep: dragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: New A. andersoni

Hi Jay!

Awesome! I was there too, sorry I didn't see you there! Well...maybe I did...??? Check out the axolotl gallery where I posted pics of three of this one's siblings! Yours is beautiful and I like the mix of black and white sand!

I too, was a bit disappointed as well. Snakes definitely dominated, no doubt. Still, it's always a fun environment and I talked to a lot of people! Now I have to wonder if I saw you! I have some pics from the show on my profile page if you'd like to check it out.
dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

I didn't see myself but my wifey was kind of mad while we were there cause every 20-30 year old looking male had tattoos and a black shirt like me so,.... who knows!

It was me and my wife and my 3 year old boy and 4 year old daughter that were kind of frantic. It was their first show and a day before my sons birthday. Made for the perfect excuse to go

The kids opted for the salt and pepper sand and its been running for a few weeks/months with nothing but freaking food once in a while cause I have been so patiently waiting to finally get back into things and well as you see over time the sand started to separate. The blacks obviously heavier.

Yours looks nice also. I wish I had my hands on a real camera already so I could get a real shot of the colors in mine.

I also stopped in at a members house on the way. Member Otolith/Perry was looking to find new homes for some of his collection and I decided to snag 'em up on my way into MARS.

It was perfect timing! I got three C. cyanurus and one wild type Axie and one melanoid.
Old 23rd September 2010   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: dragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.orgdragonlady is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Excellent! Get them interested young! I'm sure we saw you guys, I always notice kids! We chose to leave our little monsters with a sitter that day, but they have attended other shows with us.

I had on a green T with sea turtles on the front and my husband was wearing an orange polo with white stripes.

I know! I wish I had a better camera too! Mine just doesn't do them or my axolotls justice. Of course, that may not be entirely the camera's fault in my case! lol

Wow! Great find! I saw that ad but too late...I'm glad you were able to provide a new home for some of his.

The show is a pretty good drive for us...probably you too! We do try to go every year though. Have a good one!
Old 23rd September 2010   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady View Post
Excellent! Get them interested young! I'm sure we saw you guys, I always notice kids! We chose to leave our little monsters with a sitter that day, but they have attended other shows with us.

I had on a green T with sea turtles on the front and my husband was wearing an orange polo with white stripes.

I know! I wish I had a better camera too! Mine just doesn't do them or my axolotls justice. Of course, that may not be entirely the camera's fault in my case! lol

Wow! Great find! I saw that ad but too late...I'm glad you were able to provide a new home for some of his.

The show is a pretty good drive for us...probably you too! We do try to go every year though. Have a good one!

It was about 3 hours. I'm used to Hamburg which was only 25-30 minutes away from where I used to live. The ride was very interesting though. Lots of funny random WTH's!

Like a BATEMAN FOR SHERIF sign that was turned into a BAT MAN FOR SHERIF sign and a moped on the bay bridge with a passenger facing backwords holding on for dear life.

Oh, and lets not forget to mention the multiple turn arounds cause Map Quest has no clue and driving in Baltimore was a task in its own especially with a cooler holding a pair of Axies in the back and the steep hills
Old 25th September 2010   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Today I put him in a more sterile environment. Its my black on black quarantine tank

He was kinda stressed out and his gills were turning deep purple. He is doing much better in this tank and Im going to keep him in here with the addition of some pvc at least till I get the 20 long set up for him.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
New A. andersoni-dsc02005-large-.jpg   New A. andersoni-dsc02011-large-.jpg   New A. andersoni-dsc02015-large-.jpg  
Old 25th September 2010   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Ken Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and informationKen Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and informationKen Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and informationKen Worthington has given consistently excellent advice and information

WOW !! Jay, that is a beautiful creature!
Old 25th September 2010   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks Ken. I cant wait to get some more but of my own this time

In that first pick in the QT you can see he is begging for my son to feed him.
Old 3rd October 2010   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

As much as I wanted to keep this tank bare and as sterile as possible for now I had to put some sand in. He wasn't really getting a good hold and was stressed out a bit.

This guy loves chopped shrimp!
Attached Thumbnails
New A. andersoni-dsc02084.jpg   New A. andersoni-dsc02087.jpg   New A. andersoni-dsc02096.jpg   New A. andersoni-dsc02104.jpg  
Old 3rd October 2010   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: zoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgzoezakella is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

wow he's amazing love the markings on him and his lovely long gills!!! Without sounding stupid as I am fairly new to the axie world what is the difference between axies and a . andersoni?

Good luck with him sure he will be very happy
zoezakella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I like the sand! It looks great. He really has some nice long gills too! He looks like one very happy Andersoni!
Old 4th October 2010   #12 (permalink)
Neo
(sek)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: sek has shown reliable knowledgesek has shown reliable knowledge

Oh beautiful andersoni, the sand looks really good against him and makes all of his beautiful markings stand out. My wild type mexicanum hates barebottom and it stresses him out a lot, yet my leucistic loves it. So wonderfully different.
Old 4th October 2010   #13 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: firesalamander has started on the right path

Does anyone know if A. andersoni and axolotls can be interbred?

Albert Einstein
firesalamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

In theory, yes, it should be perfectly possible, but why would anyone want to do such a stupid thing??

Ah..wait, yes...money....

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesalamander View Post
Does anyone know if A. andersoni and axolotls can be interbred?
Yes they can and it has been done for scientific purposes if I can recall.

Personally I don't see any profit in hybridizing the two. Both are so similar in characteristics. I love my Axies but I also prefer the funny face and the stubby toes of the Andersoni,... hybridizing for that fact is stupid IMO.

EDIT: I guess someone could find value in a hybrid if traits of Albino or Melanoid Axie were to show in a Andersoni but I still prefer the natural beauty of the animal.

Last edited by JWERNER; 4th October 2010 at 15:02.
JWERNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010   #16 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: firesalamander has started on the right path

Yes yes, It would be very stupid to cross breed them. But this question came up after i read a post on these "silver dalmatian" axolotls on kingsnake. And i was wondering if this could be some sort of cross breed?

Albert Einstein
firesalamander is offline   Reply With Quote