The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Nikon D40 (Beginners guide)

This is a discussion on Nikon D40 (Beginners guide) within the Photo Discussion forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; My wife and I got a combination Mothers Day/Fathers Day present from our two sons. It's a Nikon D40 camera. ...

Photo Discussion Discuss your photographic technique. Lighting conditions, apertures, shutter speeds, camera types, digital and film. Also any equipment discussion should go here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th June 2009   #1 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Nikon D40 (Beginners guide)

My wife and I got a combination Mothers Day/Fathers Day present from our two sons. It's a Nikon D40 camera. I guess it's time to take some salamander pictures.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a beginners guide for someone that just got a D40?

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Nikon D40 (Beginners guide)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40...sers-guide.pdf

This fellow has all kinds of excellent camera related information on his site. It has helped me immensely as I slowly train myself in the digital camera world.

I miss my Cannon 35mm films...

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009   #3 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

If you're feeling technical, this is the be all and end all of guides to the D40 (I own other guides in this series). This however is not free, but, and no offence to Mr. Rockwell, it's on another level entirely:

http://bythom.com/d40guide.htm

Old 8th June 2009   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ghostsaw has given good advice and informationghostsaw has given good advice and informationghostsaw has given good advice and information

check out www.dpchallenge.com A good site to learn stuff and meet alot people. Anything you want to know can be found on this site...

ghostsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information

Michael,
When you get a chance post some pictures and thoughts about the Nikon D40 if you can. I am interetsed in upgrading to this camera and think it will do a good job, but am unsure in the world of photography. Like you I am looking for something to take good newt pics, and fish pics.

Thanks
Rick

merk199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009   #6 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by merk199 View Post
Michael,
When you get a chance post some pictures and thoughts about the Nikon D40 if you can.
Kaysie's calendar photo from last year was taken with a D40 (the Red Eft on the pebbles - I think it's December's photo). If I were on a budget I'd definitely consider it. I think bang for buck I'd buy a D60 right now - they are going for a steal and they are 10 megapixels.

Tags
beginners, d40, guide, nikon

LinkBack