The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Nikon D40 vs Nikon D60

This is a discussion on Nikon D40 vs Nikon D60 within the Photo Discussion forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; Ok I have been looking into getting a SLR. I have been considering the D40. Is the only difference between ...

Photo Discussion Discuss your photographic technique. Lighting conditions, apertures, shutter speeds, camera types, digital and film. Also any equipment discussion should go here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th June 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: merk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and informationmerk199 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Nikon D40 vs Nikon D60

Ok I have been looking into getting a SLR. I have been considering the D40. Is the only difference between the D40 and D60 the megapixels, and the D60 camera body can autofocus? My real confusion besides my everyday confusion is on the lens themselves. I am looking to be able to take pictures of my newts, fish, and etc, but I would also like to be able to take pictures of my kids or general type of photographs. Is there one lens for all? Or do I need two lenses. I see people are recommending the 18-55mm is that correct?

merk199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ghostsaw has given good advice and informationghostsaw has given good advice and informationghostsaw has given good advice and information
Default Re: Nikon D40 vs Nikon D60

the 18-55mm is the kit lens that comes with these camera if you buy them together....the d60 has the same lens but a VR version..shake reduction....I have a friend who has the d60 and they really like it. When I was looking for a camera I was dead set on buying a d40 till I held one in my hand very light and very small. I ended up buying a older d50 which was alittle bigger and heavier. Now I got a d200 with a battery pack on and it is twice the size of the d50. But I would check out the feel of the camera to seeif you like how it "handles" These "newer cameras cannot use autofocus on older lenses because they do not have a internal motor like the older d50 or d80. The motor is built into the newer lenses. IF you did get one with a 18-55mm lens you could buy some close up filters for macro. I would also suggest a external falsh because the built in flash won't hit a "close-up" subject....I would check out the sony dslr they don't cost as much and have less exspensive lenses. My other buddy has one and he likes it alot it has a flip lcd screen. just do as much research as you can before you buy to see what is best for you............................................... ..................................

ghostsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009   #3 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Nikon D40 vs Nikon D60

The D60 does not have an autofocus screw - it needs AFS lenses. There's a nice comparison table on this page by Thom Hogan (it compares to the D90 and the D5000 too) - scroll down until you see the table in the Basics Section:

http://bythom.com/nikond60review.htm

Tags
d40, d60, nikon

LinkBack