The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

My camera & the macro function

This is a discussion on My camera & the macro function within the Photo Discussion forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; I have no clue when it comes to photography basically! I know to use the macro function on close ups ...

Photo Discussion Discuss your photographic technique. Lighting conditions, apertures, shutter speeds, camera types, digital and film. Also any equipment discussion should go here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2011   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: Star has shown reliable knowledgeStar has shown reliable knowledge
Default My camera & the macro function

I have no clue when it comes to photography basically! I know to use the macro function on close ups but the pictures always have to be far away seems a bit pointless! Close ups end up very blurred, as do pics where I have zoomed in. I guess it could be my camera? It's a Hitachi HDC-1209ER. Just a normal digital one as I can't afford a better one but surely it should take decent pictures with macro?

I'm just wondering if anyone can offer me any photography tips or if anyone knows of decent literature that I could have a gander at? Thanks in advance!

Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: My camera & the macro function

Chances are you're zoomed in. If you've activated the zoom function, your camera will require a greater distance to focus [probably 1m or more]. If you zoom out to the minimum setting, you should be able focus at almost any place under 1m. You'll need good lighting because a built-in or fixed flash will probably create a shadow on your subject. You may also have to get VERY close to fill the image, because you have no zoom in macro mode.

I generally shoot from about 1m with zoom, because I can get a much bigger ["closer"] image, without disturbing the animal as much, and I can use the built-in flash.I have enough resolution to not care about wat little I might lose from zooming in.

I occasionally use macro for anatomical shots, especially if I have to hold the animal in one hand. That requires strong lighting shining between the subject and lens, without shining IN the lens. When I have that lighting, I can actually focus right to the surface of the lens. A bracket-mounted or ring flash can also prevent the lens-shadow caused by a built-in flash.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 2
Rep: Star has shown reliable knowledgeStar has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: My camera & the macro function

Hmm it seems to zoom while in macro I'll go through all the settings and check what is what and hopefully I can get some decent pictures of my larvae soon Thanks!

Star is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack