The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Good photography book?

This is a discussion on Good photography book? within the Photo Discussion forums, part of the Photo Gallery, Video Gallery, Technique and Discussion category; I am planning to get a Nikon D5100 camera to replace my current Panasonic Lumix FZ50. I'm thinking of getting ...

Photo Discussion Discuss your photographic technique. Lighting conditions, apertures, shutter speeds, camera types, digital and film. Also any equipment discussion should go here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SludgeMunkey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2012   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Good photography book?

I am planning to get a Nikon D5100 camera to replace my current Panasonic Lumix FZ50. I'm thinking of getting a book to improve my photography skills and make good use of the camera. I don't want anything simplified "for dummies", rather something in-depth and technical. Can anyone recommend a good book for this? Thanks!

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11
Default Re: Good photography book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evut View Post
I am planning to get a Nikon D5100 camera to replace my current Panasonic Lumix FZ50. I'm thinking of getting a book to improve my photography skills and make good use of the camera. I don't want anything simplified "for dummies", rather something in-depth and technical. Can anyone recommend a good book for this? Thanks!
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Photog.../dp/032147404X

This is the one I used when forcing my film-centric mind into the digital age.

On that note, I still prefer 35mm film cameras.

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2012   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Thanks for the tip, Johnny. Any other suggestions from anyone?

Old 22nd September 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjane1187 is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I got this one, its quite good.
Digital Wildlife Photography: Amazon.co.uk: Chris Weston: Books

Also, my friend got this one which he swears by, and he takes some quite good photos!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ways-better-...8331823&sr=1-1

Old 23rd September 2012   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Thanks Jane, I have had a brief look at them and they look interesting. It is probably better to look at books with a slightly more specific aim like these.
It seems to me that most "general photography" books are written for people who have no knowledge or experience of digital photography at all.

Last edited by evut; 23rd September 2012 at 21:45.

LinkBack