The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Merit badge for boyscouts

This is a discussion on Merit badge for boyscouts within the Species, Genus & Family Discussions forums, part of the Advanced Newt & Salamander Topics category; So for boy scouts and I am doing a merit badge ( Reptile and Amphibian Study - MeritBadgeDotOrg ) which ...

Species, Genus & Family Discussions Topics that deal with a species, genus, or family of caudata. Includes "common name" forums, such as axolotls and fire-bellied newts.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By Otterwoman
  • 1 Post By TheAmphibianGuy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th October 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheAmphibianGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Merit badge for boyscouts

So for boy scouts and I am doing a merit badge
(Reptile and Amphibian Study - MeritBadgeDotOrg) which is Reptile and Amphibian Study and it says for one of the requirements is to keep a Amphibian or reptile for a month and record data and I would prefer a WC specimen from around my house so that I can release it into the wild but I don't want WC because its just a bad Idea cause they wont eat well in captivity and will be very stressed so what should I do

TheAmphibianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Merit badge for boyscouts

You should write an essay on why that is a bad idea, including that you should never reintroduce a specimen you have taken from the wild because of the diseases going around with them, and write a little bit about the diseases. Also say that it's irresponsible to buy a pet and then discard it after a month, and maybe you can even get the badge requirements changed!

Or, if you can wait, I got tadpoles in my rain barrel the last two years. Maybe next spring you can find some tadpoles near your house, and visit them every day and get the data they want you to get.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yeah that sounds like a good idea! Thanks for the feedback

Old 3rd November 2015   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

So, how did it go? Did you get your merit badge?

Old 3rd November 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

No i am still working on it

LinkBack