The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Unknown Species

This is a discussion on Unknown Species within the Species, Genus & Family Discussions forums, part of the Advanced Newt & Salamander Topics category; So I live in Northern Mississippi and we never see many salamanders or newts but I discovered a little stream ...

Species, Genus & Family Discussions Topics that deal with a species, genus, or family of caudata. Includes "common name" forums, such as axolotls and fire-bellied newts.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th November 2016   #1 (permalink)
JG

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: JG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unknown Species

So I live in Northern Mississippi and we never see many salamanders or newts but I discovered a little stream flowing through the woods and there were some salamanders in it but from what I observed the smallest ones (2-3 cm) did not have any gills but most definitely salamanders and the largest ones I saw (2 inches) were a yellowish brown with gills I plan to go back and get photos but I don't want to hurt the animals so it may be a little difficult I will keep updating this thread for help but if anyone knows a species of salamander that as a baby has no gills but progressively grows them I would appreciate the response and of course they could be two different species of salamander still unclear though

JG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Unknown Species

Hi, welcome to the site. :)
It's all but impossible to say what species without pictures, if you gently catch them in a clear plastic sandwich bag while you get some pics, then release them afterwards they should be none the worse for it.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016   #3 (permalink)
JG

Nationality:

I did actually get a picture of two of them before I let them go in a nice container I set up so let them sit comfortably in when I took pictures of them again I live in Northern MS in case that helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf salamanders pdf.pdf (1.71 MB, 38 views)

Old 2nd December 2016   #4 (permalink)
JG

Nationality:

So I live in Northern Mississippi and we never see many salamanders or newts but I discovered a little stream flowing through the woods and there were some salamanders in it but from what I observed the smallest ones (2-3 cm) did not have any gills but most definitely salamanders and the largest ones I saw (2 inches) were a yellowish brown with gills I plan to go back and get photos but I don't want to hurt the animals so it may be a little difficult I will keep updating this thread for help but if anyone knows a species of salamander that as a baby has no gills but progressively grows them I would appreciate the response and of course they could be two different species of salamander still unclear thoughsalamanders pdf.pdf

Old 2nd December 2016   #5 (permalink)
JG

Nationality:

Here's a picture of the larger one with a smaller one next to it
Attached Thumbnails
Unknown Species-img_0189.jpg