The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Triturus Cristatus larvae photos

This is a discussion on Triturus Cristatus larvae photos within the Species, Genus & Family Discussions forums, part of the Advanced Newt & Salamander Topics category; Hi everyone, back in June I purchased some Triturus Cristatus eggs off Charles Snell. Here is some photos of them. ...

Species, Genus & Family Discussions Topics that deal with a species, genus, or family of caudata. Includes "common name" forums, such as axolotls and fire-bellied newts.

Like Tree21Likes
  • 4 Post By Alexscott98
  • 2 Post By Chinadog
  • 2 Post By Alexscott98
  • 1 Post By Chinadog
  • 2 Post By Alexscott98
  • 3 Post By Alexscott98
  • 2 Post By bellabelloo
  • 1 Post By Alexscott98
  • 3 Post By Alexscott98
  • 1 Post By mr cyclone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Alexscott98 has given good advice and informationAlexscott98 has given good advice and information
Default Triturus Cristatus larvae photos

Hi everyone, back in June I purchased some Triturus Cristatus eggs off Charles Snell. Here is some photos of them. They hatched June 9th-16th. They are currently feeding on: Daphnia, frozen bloodworms, mosquito larvae and small pierces of chopped earthworms. I have 7 Triturus Cristatus larvae and hope to morph all 7 of them. Any feedback and advice would be appreciated:)
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0336.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0342.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0341.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0343.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0344.jpg  

Alexscott98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Triturus Cristatus larvae photos

Welcome to the site! :)
You should be fine if they're big enough for worms, I'd just say make sure you separate any that grow faster than the others, they can soon start ripping the smaller one's bits off when they're hungry.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Alexscott98 has given good advice and informationAlexscott98 has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
Welcome to the site! :)
You should be fine if they're big enough for worms, I'd just say make sure you separate any that grow faster than the others, they can soon start ripping the smaller one's bits off when they're hungry.
Hi and thanks for the the comment!

I now have 3 separate containers. I separated my biggest larvae last night from the others.

I have also noticed that the Ones which were in the container with the biggest larvae have small nibble marks on the end of their tails so I've separated him from the others as he/she seems to be intimidating them. Also I have done it because I've researched that they tend to bite each other's tails due to overcrowding. So for now I'm going to keep max 3 per container but as they get bigger I might have to keep 1 in each container or 2 in a container.
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0346.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0347.jpg  

Old 5th August 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here are some more photos of my oldest larvae, he's around 5cm long now.
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0355.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0357.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0356.jpg  

Old 12th August 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi everyone, yesterday I upgraded my triturus crostatas sizes of containers which they were in. In each container there are 3 larvae except for one container which has my 2'5 inch larvae in by himself. Tomorrow I go away for 2 weeks to Crete in Greece and just wanted to share some photos and salvage any last minute feedback and advice anyone would have. In the tank you may be able to see daphnia, I have added lots of daphnia to keep them going for a few day and after that they will be fed on frozen bloodworms. A member of family will be doing this.

When feeding them should they be handled with tweezers or should I just put a few broken bloodworms in each day? There is also some more daphnia in my garden need be.
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0006.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0005.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0007.jpg  

Old 12th August 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here are some more photos of the inhabitants in their new homes.
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0010.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0009.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0012.jpg  

Old 12th August 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

They're looking great. :)
When I feed frozen bloodworms I let them defrost in cold water and just gently tip them in so they spread out on the bottom. If you drop them in and they're still block shaped it's easy for the biggest/hungriest larvae to hog them all before the others get a look in.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Just been sent some photos from home as I'm currently on holiday in Greece. They're growing so fast!

Old 23rd August 2017   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Some photos
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0129.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0133.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0123.jpg  

Old 27th August 2017   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Got back from Greece today to find that I've got my first great created juvenile. Tiny part of gills left but he's out of water now and floating on the plants at the waters surface, huge tank size uopgrade on Tuesday and more plants have been ordered! Very happy. My first ever Great Crested Newt which I've ever seen in person. Very exciting times!
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0236.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0237.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0240.jpg  

Old 28th August 2017   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Congratulations

I think it is so rewarding raising eggs. These photo updates have been lovely. I'm really looking forward to reading more.

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2017   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellabelloo View Post
Congratulations

I think it is so rewarding raising eggs. These photo updates have been lovely. I'm really looking forward to reading more.
Thank you!!
It's very rewarding and worth all the work put into keeping these little guys healthy. I'll be posting more updates on this thread as I still have another 6 yet to lose their gills. This one is the first of the 7 but is the smallest! I have others which haven't even gone black yet which are twice the size as this little guy. Big tank upgrade for him tomorrow. I'll post photos when it's all been set up!:)

Old 29th August 2017   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here's the new set up for all 7 of my little cresties.

So many photos taken today, I just can't help myself but share them all with you:)
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0265.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0277.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0273.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0275.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0259.jpg  

Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0282.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0283.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0284.jpg  

Last edited by Chinadog; 30th August 2017 at 19:07. Reason: Merged posts.
Old 2nd September 2017   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:

Party time! 5 out of 7 of my Greats feasting on some bloodworms.
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0327.jpg  

Old 13th September 2017   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

Well it's been a long journey and it's not over yet. All 7 of my cresties which I received from
Eggs from Charles Snell have morphed into Juveniles, all their gills have gone and they love it in the water.

This will be the last photo of them which I post for a while. Next step is getting all these little guys into mature adults. The next photos which you'll see of them will be when they're mature adults and all grown up:)
Attached Thumbnails
Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0380.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0383.jpg   Triturus Cristatus larvae photos-img_0382.jpg  

Old 16th September 2017   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Nice one dude, I wish I still had mine .I will try get more eggs next year and have another go

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr cyclone View Post
Nice one dude, I wish I still had mine .I will try get more eggs next year and have another go
Nice one mate! So rewarding seeing them all growing and morphing into juveniles. What happened to the ones you had? Hoping to have these fellas for a long time to come. Would definitely try and get some more from eggs next spring though mate.

Old 19th September 2017   #18 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I think my dobricus eat them

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
triturus cristatus

LinkBack