The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Species Identification?

This is a discussion on Species Identification? within the Species, Genus & Family Discussions forums, part of the Advanced Newt & Salamander Topics category; These two salamanders are both from California, but may be different species. The first is from a zoo somewhere, and ...

Species, Genus & Family Discussions Topics that deal with a species, genus, or family of caudata. Includes "common name" forums, such as axolotls and fire-bellied newts.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Sith the turtle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th August 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Mjasko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Species Identification?

These two salamanders are both from California, but may be different species. The first is from a zoo somewhere, and looks like a giant coastal salamander, but appears to be neotonic? The second is from the wild, in lake ilsanjo.
Thanks for help! Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Mjasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2017   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 140
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Species Identification?

For sure a Dicamptodon species, I don't know how to tell apart the species that occur in that area though. The second animal could very well be neotenic, but that could be a matter of perspective, as I have no clue on the size of the second animal, or a good look at the eyes. The gills on the first animal seem shrunken, almost ready to morph, not to mention the eyelids being formed from what I can see, but then again, could also be perspective

LinkBack