The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

ID needed of juvenile salamanders found wild in the UK

This is a discussion on ID needed of juvenile salamanders found wild in the UK within the Species, Genus & Family Discussions forums, part of the Advanced Newt & Salamander Topics category; Hi A small pond in southern england was reported to contain axolotls. As far as I am aware there are ...

Species, Genus & Family Discussions Topics that deal with a species, genus, or family of caudata. Includes "common name" forums, such as axolotls and fire-bellied newts.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: FlAsHFlOoD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ID needed of juvenile salamanders found wild in the UK

Hi

A small pond in southern england was reported to contain axolotls. As far as I am aware there are no native UK salamander species so this was somewhat of a surprise!

Several specimens were found. They all had gills behind the head, but the colours and patterns did not look like axolotls so i assume they are juveniles from another species of salamander. Does anyone recognise what these are?

Thanks!

pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/vHm5t

FlAsHFlOoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: ID needed of juvenile salamanders found wild in the UK

Not an axie. What is native to your region?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for the reply.

We don't have salamanders. Our largest newts are called great crested newts. I have been looking at photos of GCN juveniles since posting this, and I think that is all they are. Well, GCNs are a protected species, so it is good to find them, but it is most likely that this is what they are, rather than some exotic introduced species.

example GCN picture:

https://goo.gl/images/hNoVPm

The belly does it for me, and the spots are similar.

False alarm (i think)!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and information

Hi !

The third pic looks like an advanced crested newt larva.
This species exists in UK

JM29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org

1,2 palmate or smooth, 3,4,5 crested.
j.

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

As others have said, the large ones are Triturus cristatus, I thought I'd better mention that while all our native newts are protected to some degree, Smooth and Palmate newts can be collected, handled, studied etc as long as they're not sold for profit. Crested newts however, are given the very highest level of protection making it illegal to interfere with them or their environment in any way whatsoever without permission from Natural England.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 82
Comments: 8
Rep: juraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.orgjuraj is a mainstay of Caudata.org

However, cool find !

juraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for all your help. They are a nice find, though not by me! They were reported as axolotls by a member of the public. I'm a river ecologist.

cheers

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I wouldn't be surprised to see Axolotls turn up in a pond somewhere in the UK. I bet there's been a fair few turned loose over the years and they can survive our winters quite easily.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
england

LinkBack