The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Larvae ID

This is a discussion on Larvae ID within the Species, Genus & Family Discussions forums, part of the Advanced Newt & Salamander Topics category; I found a whole bunch of larvae in a muddy puddle while on vacation in midcoast Maine. Hoping for help ...

Species, Genus & Family Discussions Topics that deal with a species, genus, or family of caudata. Includes "common name" forums, such as axolotls and fire-bellied newts.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jennewt
  • 1 Post By rachel1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information
Default Larvae ID

I found a whole bunch of larvae in a muddy puddle while on vacation in midcoast Maine. Hoping for help with identification. They are very small, about 1" long with fully developed front legs with 4 toes and back limb buds. Olive brownish color with black speckling down the tail. Any ideas? I don't know the native species very well. They were in a silty ditch by the side of the road with some leaf litter, probably 150 of them. Here's a pic. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Larvae ID-image.jpg  

rachel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Larvae ID

One more pic, from above.
Attached Thumbnails
Larvae ID-image.jpg  

Old 6th July 2014   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

It's not so easy to identify larvae. Mostly figure out what exists in that location and go from there.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TroySoldier is an unknown quantity at this point

My some what inexperienced opinion is that there yellow spotted salamander larvae (or another type of spotted salamander) I have raised yellow spotted salamanders before and that one looks pretty darn close.

hope this helps

TroySoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Did some homework, and it looks like my top contenders are:
1) spotted salamander (Ambystoma maculatum)
2) blue spotted salamander (Ambystoma laterale)
3) eastern red spotted newt (Notophthalmus viridescens)
Any tips on differences between the three? Specifically developmental markers, like at what size they would have fully developed back legs, etc. Also approximate size and developmental status at this time of year would be useful. Leaning toward spotted salamander, as it seems the most common. The red spotted newt seems a bit too small, but I'm not sure how close these larvae are to metamorphosis.

Old 6th July 2014   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Yes, the red-spotted newt would have very small larvae, and they would have a black stripe across the eye. And they'd be unlikely to find in a mudpuddle. The other two would be difficult to distinguish at the larval stage. A. maculatum is most likely, simply because it's more common.

Old 8th July 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks for all the help! I'm going to try to morph out a couple and see what I get. I suspect the spotted salamander is the winner. They have hearty appetites and a strong prey drive. I'll update if I get a positive ID down the line. I'm already turning them into little fatties- hopefully that's a good sign. Here's an updated pic from tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Larvae ID-image.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2014   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

My little ones are morphing. Ambystoma maculatum confirmed!
Attached Thumbnails
Larvae ID-image.jpg  

LinkBack