The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

What is this?

This is a discussion on What is this? within the Species, Genus & Family Discussions forums, part of the Advanced Newt & Salamander Topics category; ...

Species, Genus & Family Discussions Topics that deal with a species, genus, or family of caudata. Includes "common name" forums, such as axolotls and fire-bellied newts.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By FrogEyes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th November 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ticonick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is this?

Click the image to open in full size.

ticonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: What is this?

Your picture is not showing up.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Bq2LxUsPql...k/s400/ax2.jpg

Old 7th November 2014   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Obvious error in the address. Fixed. It's a small stingray.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Bq2LxUsPql.../s1600/ax2.jpg

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2014   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

See
How to Post Pictures

Old 7th November 2014   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

oh okay thanks, it was on a blog about axolotl, and i was confused because it looks like it had hind legs and i thought maybe it was an amphibian that i hadn't heard of.

Old 7th November 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Lol! Why on earth would you post a question about marine fish on a newt and salamander forum? Let alone in the advanced topic section! Surely there's a website somewhere for beginners Ellasmobranchii questions!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: KevinMarshall has started on the right path

Looks like a photo shop chimaera to me. Always pays to take some internet sites and blogs with a pinch of salt

KevinMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
Lol! Why on earth would you post a question about marine fish on a newt and salamander forum?
Because Post #6.

Old 8th November 2014   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Yes, I can see it now, post #6 must have been waiting to be approved because it wasn't there when I commented. I know I shouldn't be messing about in this bit of the forum, so sorry ticonic! It just struck me funny that it was in the advanced section.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2014   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I don't think it's photoshopped. The pelvic fins of stingrays are mostly or completely hidden under the rear edge of the pectoral fins [the "rays"]. In males especially, they're modified to resemble legs and are known as claspers, used to grasp the female for internal fertilization. I don't see anything in that picture which doesn't look like normal ray anatomy.

Old 9th November 2014   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Margie has shown reliable knowledge

I've been keeping/breeding stingrays for about 7 years and not only does this look like a normal ray, it looks like a very young pup. I don't know what species of ray, however, other than marine (versus the 3 freshwater species I keep).

Margie is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack