The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tylototriton yangi courtship

This is a discussion on Tylototriton yangi courtship within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Does anyone know if tylototriton courtship happens on land or in the water? I am asking about the mateing ritual ...

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By frogman
  • 1 Post By frogman
  • 2 Post By ThoseNewtsTho
  • 1 Post By mr cyclone
  • 1 Post By frogman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2014   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Tylototriton yangi courtship

Does anyone know if tylototriton courtship happens on land or in the water?
I am asking about the mateing ritual not the egg laying ,thanks

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Tylototriton yangi courtship

Tylototriton Yangi

Are your animals like these? Looks like they court in the water. :)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2014   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

In the water I think. I am a bit confused, haven't you bred Tylototriton verrucosus before? You have sold morphs before...which makes me think you bred them, or did you just buy the eggs? Anyway, I would be surprised if they didn't court in the water. I have read that T. verrucosus tail fans in a way similar to Triturus newts, but slower, which wouldn't make sense if it wasn't in the water. -Seth

Old 18th November 2014   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and information

Mine courted a lot. Always in the water. They circled around each other until the male dropped a spermataphore. I never saw any tail fanning.

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Aarons bred loads of T.verrucosus, his question is about T.yangi.

Old 18th November 2014   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Some tylos appear to mate and lay eggs on land. It's not clear what species these are, although the name T.verrucosus has been applied to at least one such population.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2014   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
Aarons bred loads of T.verrucosus, his question is about T.yangi.
Sorry, I wasn't sure what species he was referring to because he didn't specify.

Old 18th November 2014   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I ask the question as I know Frogmans courtship was aquatic but also I've been told of numerous occasions of the courtship being on land ,both is true for which I've heard of certain types of T shanjing and /suspected T shanjing.
I have mature T.yangi at the moment and show little interest in the water I know it's the wrong time of year for them, they are being kept semi aquatic
Watch this space

Old 18th November 2014   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: frogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and information

This time of the year I am slowly transitioning them to a terrestrial tank. They will re-enter water in late spring.

Evan

Old 18th November 2014   #10 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by sde View Post
Sorry, I wasn't sure what species he was referring to because he didn't specify.

Although it's specified in the title, lol

Old 30th November 2014   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I found spermataphores today 1 on a flat stone on the land and a cloud of it in the water today .
I believe it is sperm,Any comments welcomed
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton yangi courtship-image.jpg  

Old 30th November 2014   #12 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

And the 1 on land
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton yangi courtship-image.jpg  

Old 30th November 2014   #13 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I don't believe that the one in the water Is a spermataphore. The one on land could be but I never saw anything like that with mine so I have a feeling it is something else. Their sperm was always small and in the water with mine.
Best of luck to you all the same!

Evan

LinkBack