The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Giant T. verrucosus larvae!

This is a discussion on Giant T. verrucosus larvae! within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; These 2015 T verrucosus larvae are almost a year old now, but they show no signs of morphing yet, even ...

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree17Likes
  • 11 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 1 Post By mr cyclone
  • 1 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By elKendo97
  • 1 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By actress8252

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Giant T. verrucosus larvae!

These 2015 T verrucosus larvae are almost a year old now, but they show no signs of morphing yet, even though they are well over 10cm and still growing!
All the rest from their batch morphed in October at a much smaller size and were fed the exactly same food and kept in identical water chemistry, but were given their own 15 gallon tank, whereas the giant ones have lived with their parents the whole time. I can only think it's the water depth of 600mm and/or the relatively large water volume that's kept them from changing? If anything I would have guessed the ones that live with their parents would be first to mature due to the competition for food with the adults, not the other way round!
The pic with the ruler isn't very scientific I know, but it's rare to see them out in the open like that.
Has anybody else had Tylo larvae get huge?
Attached Thumbnails
Giant T. verrucosus larvae!-sam_9086.jpg   Giant T. verrucosus larvae!-sam_9084.jpg   Giant T. verrucosus larvae!-sam_9217.jpg   Giant T. verrucosus larvae!-sam_9210.jpg  

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Giant T. verrucosus larvae!

Wow, he looks like a Tiger salamander larvae in those photos! I did some searching on CC, and the larvae typically grow from 5-7 cm, but some don't morph until they reach 12 cm! Yours is probably one that reaches upwards of 12 cm, but I have no idea how common it is/was

Old 21st February 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yes I had several reach adulthood before morphing and always seemed to be more aggressive at feeding time. And the most I can remember they turned out female.
When I was in Gersfeld I saw Alex and Derk's Verrucosus group they where at least twice the bulk and size of my biggest adults , they must have been very old but they were gigantic about the same size as my adult yangi (sorry off subject )
I seemed to get a monster larvae every time raising a batch of eggs always one refused to morph and would eat everything

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

It's funny you should say that, I've also noticed the big larvae attack their food with much more aggression. I wonder if some of it's to do with their larval mouth shape being so well suited to sucking in aquatic pray versus the adults mouths which are a compromise between terrestrial living as well as aquatic?

Old 21st February 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: elKendo97 is an unknown quantity at this point

In Facebook we talked about it and apparently these animals could be
(Or be related) with Tylototriton shanorum.

elKendo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hmm, I just looked at some pics of T. shanorum, they do look very similar! As I understand it though, the strain I keep are descended from pet trade animals without any details of where they were collected, so I'll probably never know what they really are.

Old 21st February 2016   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Unless you could get a dna sample from one of your Tylototriton and find a herpetologist to find out, but I doubt it. I almost did that when I couldn't find what locality my H.chrysoscelis were, good thing I found out that the H.versicolor weren't found in GA!

Old 21st February 2016   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: manderkeeper has started on the right path

DNA will surely be able to tell one day

manderkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: actress8252 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Giant T. verrucosus larvae!

I love it! They look like odd shaped red axolotls (which would be REALLY cool)

actress8252 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack