The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tylototriton verrucosus twins!

This is a discussion on Tylototriton verrucosus twins! within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I was looking at the eggs my Tylos had laid and noticed one with two embryos! I pulled it out ...

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree23Likes
  • 11 Post By Chinadog
  • 2 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By mr cyclone
  • 6 Post By Jort
  • 3 Post By Niels D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th May 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Tylototriton verrucosus twins!

I was looking at the eggs my Tylos had laid and noticed one with two embryos! I pulled it out along with a few other eggs to raise so we'll see what happens.
I also noticed some eggs that look like they're all in the same jelly, a bit like Bufo toad eggs, has anyone seen anything like it before?
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus twins!-sam_0055.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus twins!-sam_0042.jpg  

Chinadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and informationJM29 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Tylototriton verrucosus twins!

I once had some Pleurodeles eggs in a continuous jelly string, like the case you describe here for T. verrucosus.
The female was very plump and had not laid for a while before that.

JM29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Same here, the females have been gravid for a month or two. I think the crazy weather we're having here in the UK might have set them off, it's been yo-yoing from about 8-22F over the last week!

Old 14th May 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Talking Re: Tylototriton verrucosus twins!

Have seen the multiple jelly sack before,Never had twins before though.
Im patiently waiting to see if this crazy weather pays off for my Tylos mate

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

Amazing.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

I have never seen that. What's their status?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

They both hatched as normal larvae and I lost track which ones they are, I haven't lost any larvae though, so they are certainly still going strong.
Btw, Your animals look very similar to mine, are they descended from the John Clare/Ummi bloodline?

Old 6th July 2016   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Mine originally came from Michael Shrom, so whereever he got his from. I got them in 2004 or 2005, so it was a while ago.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jort has started on the right path

This is an "egg" from P.deloustali. They both hatched normally.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Jort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jort has started on the right path

Forgot to mention these are from Niels D. I copied the picture codes from another forum. He knows about this post of course. He's on a herping trip, but I found these pictures to be very nice to add to this thread, also because I saw the egg myself. Very beautiful if you ask me.

Jort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2016   #11 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Already back. It turned out to be more of a beer trip because of the weather. We wanted to see the P.muralis in Maastricht (only known Dutch population), but we ... well. Let's say we kept on ordering until our vision wasn't suitable to spot small lizzards anymore.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack