The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

T.verrucosus about to morph

This is a discussion on T.verrucosus about to morph within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; T.verucosus larvae, couple are starting to morph so they are going in a secure tub so they don't bail....

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By xxianxx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2016   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default T.verrucosus about to morph

T.verucosus larvae, couple are starting to morph so they are going in a secure tub so they don't bail.
Attached Thumbnails
T.verrucosus about to morph-1472256012126-1171488488.jpg   T.verrucosus about to morph-14722568699291873220759.jpg  
Old 27th August 2016   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: T.verrucosus about to morph

Yours are a bit ahead of mine. I don't expect any moprhs for at least a month!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

These are the first batch I had, I have four others inc freshly hatched, ariund 100 in total, would be more but my adults are terrible for eating eggs, despite being very well fed :-(
Old 27th August 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Mine are real slow to morph. I've got some of last years and this years babies all still with gills playing happy familys in the adult's tank. If I raise any in smaller tanks they seem to morph once they reach about 70mm, so can only assume the deep water and steady food supply slows them down.
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I have noticed the same thing, my guys are kept in low water volume and morph around 2" but other friends who keep them in larger tanks have them morphing at a much larger size. Did you raise yours in with the adults?
Old 27th August 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Yes, I haven't had much time this season, so I left the eggs in with the adults. I guess there's about twenty big larvae in total with countless smaller ones darting about. As you say, they will eat their own eggs if they find them, but the adults seem programmed to avoid them once they hatch.
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2016   #7 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Sounds like we're discussing different species, in fact we may be seeing as the T.verrucosus in the UK are probably a mix of atleast three "variants". I don't trust my adults an inch, larvae which hatch in the tank never make it past 1", they disapear at some point which is why I pull them whenever I see them. The adults are generally relaxed with each other till feeding time at which point they try to eat each other. Last week I had to seperate two as one had swallowed a tank mates tail up to its back legs. I know one keeper who got rid of her T.verr as she couldn't stand the level of violence lol
Old 12th September 2016   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

First ones to morph, bit smaller than usual , averaging 1.5"-2", going to get them closer to 3" before sale. 50 a trio if anybody wants to preorder. They are terrestrial atm and will be for a few days, they will then be returned to a shallow tub full of weed and go aquatic.
Attached Thumbnails
T.verrucosus about to morph-1473723816324-884460805.jpg