The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

T. Yangi cooling and breeding.

This is a discussion on T. Yangi cooling and breeding. within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have a giant larvae living in an 'aqua composter' that has grown large gills and doesn't show any sign ...

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2017   #41 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information
Default Re: T. Yangi cooling and breeding.

I have a giant larvae living in an 'aqua composter' that has grown large gills and doesn't show any sign of color yet. Some of the others are developing their rough skin. I also set up a new tub as they are getting big, so I have split them into smaller groups.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_2057.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_2076.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_2037.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_2162.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_2160.jpg  

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017   #42 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information

The first one is out! This guy took to land yesterday. Since leaving its skin has gotten considerably rougher.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_2603.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_2588.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_2611.jpg  

Old 28th June 2017   #43 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: dutch guy has shown reliable knowledgedutch guy has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnabo View Post
The first one is out! This guy took to land yesterday. Since leaving its skin has gotten considerably rougher.
Greath Job Steve

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk

dutch guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017   #44 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks Herman! I actually just saw your fb msg regarding the shanjing eggs, must have gotten buried in birthday messages on Facebook apologies!

The first few have morphed. The first one to do so I left in the larvae tub as there was a lot of cork bark for it to roam. The next morning I found it dead, it seems to have drown upon re entering the water. Now as they morph I have been removing them into a bin of cork bark with a wet paper towel bottom, and haven't lost any since (touch wood). After they left the water they developed their characteristic head ridges.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_2985.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_2892.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_2940.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2017   #45 (permalink)

Nationality:

The first 2 that left water have started to eat. After doing so they became a lot more active, they were like statues before. You can tell metamorphosing is a very stressful process for them, which is likely why there can be high mortality at morph. Out of 5 to morph I have only lost 1 so far, hoping the others pull through touch wood. They pretty much look like mini adults minus the orange warts which look to be developing slowly.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_3408.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_3411.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_3374.jpg  

Old 6th August 2017   #46 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: troutnerd has given good advice and informationtroutnerd has given good advice and informationtroutnerd has given good advice and information

Those morphs look beautiful.Great work.

troutnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2017   #47 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Excellent job so far ,responsibility is on you now to raise the young and breed the F1/2
I lost all mine when my mother inlaw cooked them sadly,adults are still here but don't want to breed regardless of conditions
so see if you can get your juvies to grow and breed.
can I ask was the only heating on your adult tank the lighting ?

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017   #48 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you! I am hoping I can raise you a male, I think I recall you were looking for one. Yes the only heat I had was the heat lamp, which was at one end of the tank. It was warming the land portion, I figure even in the summer the water is pretty cold especially in the morning, so the water stayed about 18-19 degrees. It can be hard to warm them without warming the water too much, the larger the water volume the easier it is to keep the water temp from changing as much.

Old 9th August 2017   #49 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I think you might be on to something ,with the cool water and warm land,I tried mine in the garden this summer ,the water was cool but the land never got warm enough (Scottish summer) .The animals did spend a lot of time in the water part but didn't eat much and the male hasn't come into condition. Can always try again next year

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017   #50 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dutch guy has shown reliable knowledgedutch guy has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr cyclone View Post
Excellent job so far ,responsibility is on you now to raise the young and breed the F1/2
I lost all mine when my mother inlaw cooked them sadly,adults are still here but don't want to breed regardless of conditions
so see if you can get your juvies to grow and breed.
can I ask was the only heating on your adult tank the lighting ?
Sorry to reed this Aaron, it's such a beautyful newt, hope Steve has More LUCK with raising them,how Are your shanjing's doing? I hope well.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk

dutch guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2017   #51 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr cyclone View Post
I think you might be on to something ,with the cool water and warm land,I tried mine in the garden this summer ,the water was cool but the land never got warm enough (Scottish summer) .The animals did spend a lot of time in the water part but didn't eat much and the male hasn't come into condition. Can always try again next year
I had just remembered going herping in the summer on a sweltering day, and the water was almost ice cold and it was in the sun. In those shaded areas where they are from especially during typhoon season, warm winds sweep over but would be unlikely to cause a significant water temperature increase. I think warming up the land makes the temp difference between water and land even greater, which I think is something they would be reminded of every time they enter or leave the water. I wondering how long the babies will take to mature.

LinkBack