The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

T. Yangi cooling and breeding.

This is a discussion on T. Yangi cooling and breeding. within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I am currently cooling my group of 5. I acquired them in two groups of 3 and 2 from people ...

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: shnabo has shown reliable knowledge
Default T. Yangi cooling and breeding.

I am currently cooling my group of 5. I acquired them in two groups of 3 and 2 from people getting out of the hobby, they had each had them for about 4-5 years. They have been cooling in two separate tanks in the group they came in. The 3 are 1.2 and the two are 1.1, so I am hoping to try to breed them in their original groups and combine them if that doesn't work so I have 3 attempts. They are cooling in their regular tanks, under moss and cork bark. So far it's been about 2 months at around 8-10C and reduced lighting for winter. Me. Cyclone suggested putting the tank by indirect daylight so I may try that with one of them to see if that is a factor.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_9521.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_5114.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_4993.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_7469.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_7377.jpg  

T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_5558.jpg  

Last edited by bellabelloo; 3 Weeks Ago at 22:18.
shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Chinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgChinadog is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: T. Yangi cooling

Beautiful, healthy looking animals, good luck with them. :)
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: troutnerd has given good advice and informationtroutnerd has given good advice and informationtroutnerd has given good advice and information

Beautiful animals. Are T .Yangi different from - or a subspecies of - Kweichow? I've been off Caudata for a while and had never seen the name T.Yangi before.
troutnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

Yes they are believed to be. I think when you see Tylototriton sf. Kweichow in the title that is referring to Yangi before the reclassification.
Old 27th January 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Going to try to build a rain chamber this weekend. Not sure if they're quite ready for it yet, but getting things ready for attempt number 1. May also build a temporary 4 foot tank for breeding purposes, something basic that meets their needs and gives them some space.
Old 16th February 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

I have mainly been posting on FB, but will post here since there hasn't been too much activity. I took the animals out of hibernation 2 weeks ago and built a 4 foot enclosure for them to allow for a lot of water that is deep enough, and an adequate land area. I've been letting the temperature gradually rise from around 8-10 to 15-16. This week I will be adding heat so half the tank is around 24-26 degrees (the other end will be cooler, and the water should remain cool). have 3.2 group, I have 2.2 in the tank and 1.0 by itself to try to beef it up a bit. I have been using a fogger and a pump to keep the land area wet, humidity high and simulate rain. The females have been going to the water a few times a day, the males however don't seem interested yet. Thanks to everyone who's contributed tips or tricks regarding parameters.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-16712049_10207599908070181_7628838147918037540_n.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-16797032_10207599907710172_1468825131736667122_o.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-16711716_10207599907910177_3778091209482651042_n.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-16700665_10207603978451938_3284069791754953382_o.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-16707668_10207603978011927_1188355585887681179_o.jpg  

Old 17th February 2017   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Good luck mate! Looking promising.
P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

I have set up the rain by drilling holes in a piece of tubing. I had tried to poke them previously, which didn't work out so well. I also set up a fog machine for the mornings and evenings, as well as around when it rains. There is also a heat lamp to raise the air temperature but not influence the water temperature much. The temperature varies from 20-24 right now. This is a video of one of the tylos heading for sea when the typhoon strikes.

For some reason it says my security token isn't recognized when I try to post the video, so I hosted it on tiny pic for now:

View My Video
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

The males and females are regularly going in to the water. I run the fog in the morning, and they are quite responsive to it. It's been raining here the last few days, so I have the window open an inch just so they sense the change in air pressure. The rain has been on and off all day. I have a heat lamp on one side of the tank, the air temperature is around 20-22 right now.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-16797032_10207599907710172_1468825131736667122_o.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-16711716_10207599907910177_3778091209482651042_n.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-16707668_10207603978011927_1188355585887681179_o.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-16700665_10207603978451938_3284069791754953382_o.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-16712049_10207599908070181_7628838147918037540_n.jpg  

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

T.yangi are a member of the T.verrucosus complex [9 species so far, with two populations moved to other species groups] and not closely related to T.kweichowensis. They have been available in the trade for many years now, represented as T.kweichowensis, T.verrucosus, or T.shanjing. In my experience, they can handle rather chilly temperatures, as I housed them outdoors even with night temperatures dropping below freezing. They came indoors only when temperatures stopped rising in the day as well. They just buried themselves beneath the leaf litter in their enclosure. At least some members of this complex routinely handle cold weather in the wild, with T.himalayanus getting buried under snow cover for 2-3 months.
FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

I had them in my basement for the winter, I was able to get the temperature down to 2-4 degrees at times, they didn't seem to mind at all. THey've been quite active over the last few days as it has been raining here so I've had the rain on in the tank and fog here and there, all of them are in the water every time I go down.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

A few pictures of the squad from this weekend
Attached Thumbnails
T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1798.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1762.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1697.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1613.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1591.jpg  

T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1587.jpg  
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default T. Yangi Eggs

May be a little early for this, as I'm not sure if they are viable. However if they are I will attempt to document the journey from egg onwards. This is a continuation of my other thread: T.Yangi Cooling.

After cooling and introducing rain and fog for a few weeks, I awoke yesterday to about 20 eggs clumped around the waters edge and surrounding areas. The main stimulus for breeding I think was the rain here (outside, not in the tank). I opened the window so they would be able to feel the change in pressure and have been running the rain and fog more often than not the last 2 weeks. The temperature when eggs were laid was roughly 17-18 degrees (water) and 20-22 degree air temp.

I have been keeping a detailed log of parameters and other significant changes I've been making between when cooling started, and when eggs were laid (yesterday). If anyone would be interested in this, I can post it here upon request.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1401.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1953.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1852.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1369.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1600.jpg  

T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1405.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1474.jpg   T. Yangi cooling and breeding.-img_1588.jpg  
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: T. Yangi Eggs

Am I blind? I don't see the eggs.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #15 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

There are a bunch of them in the second picture.
FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #16 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Awesome! That's a serious accomplishment mate! Have you had contact with Aaron D or Peter U (Mr. Cyclone and Ummi on this forum) regarding raising the larvae?
P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Wink Re: T. Yangi Eggs

Yup stick em in the water and raise them like Shanjing or Verrucosus, Remove the dud eggs ,Morph the juveniles as big as possible.
I do suggest maybe contacting frog eyes,Michael Shrom and JenNewt ,This could be the last time these are available in the U.S
I reccomend Jari's method for raising the Juveniles , I can explain later

Last edited by mr cyclone; 3 Weeks Ago at 18:54. Reason: To add a sentence
mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Talking Re: T. Yangi Eggs

U.S and Canada , Sorry Steve
mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: T. Yangi cooling and breeding.

I've merged both your posts about your success together so all the information is more easily found.
Many congratulations and hoping these eggs are fertile
bellabelloo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dutch guy has shown reliable knowledgedutch guy has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterwoman View Post
Am I blind? I don't see the eggs.
Front left of the female.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn LENNY2 met Tapatalk
dutch guy is offline   Reply With Quote