The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tylototriton yangi successful breeding

This is a discussion on Tylototriton yangi successful breeding within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi all, Figured i'd share this here since i haven't already. Back in June of this year, i was fortunate ...

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree14Likes
  • 13 Post By sde
  • 1 Post By mr cyclone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Tylototriton yangi successful breeding

Hi all,

Figured i'd share this here since i haven't already. Back in June of this year, i was fortunate enough to successfully breed my Tylototriton yangi. To my knowledge, this is the first captive breeding of this species in the US, and second in North America.

I am working on an article of sorts on my methods and such, which i will probably post here in the next few months. But for now, i'll just give the overview.

All three newts (1 male 2 female) were cooled from mid December til late March. Temperatures were around 45 to 50 F (7 to 10 C). During the cooling period they were only fed approximately 2 times. For another two months after that they were kept in a very dark environment. At this point, they were taken outside and put into a breeding setup. The setup is similar to the style used by Alex Tsukanov - stacked rocks on one side and water on the other. Water depth was around 5 inches, with some plants and sticks. Pieces of maple bark and moss were put on top of the rocks for shelter.
For the first several weeks outdoors they did not breed, but then, in early June, a pressure drop and slight rainfall finally brought success. Temperatures on the day they bred were between 56 and 66F (13 and 19C).
Eggs were laid mostly on land (moss and rocks) above the water. I removed the eggs and put them in tubs of shallow water, however. They began hatching in early July, just under a month after being laid. By early August, larvae had all four limbs. By late November, they were 2 inches, and now, December 6th, they have developed light toes, and are beginning to develop light paratoids and tails. So far so good!

Here are some bad phone pics They are in order from when i first found the eggs, to larvae this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton yangi successful breeding-img_3945-2-.jpg   Tylototriton yangi successful breeding-img_3956.jpg   Tylototriton yangi successful breeding-img_3973-2-.jpg   Tylototriton yangi successful breeding-img_4163-2-.jpg   Tylototriton yangi successful breeding-img_4498.jpg  

Tylototriton yangi successful breeding-img_4740-2-.jpg   Tylototriton yangi successful breeding-img_5086-2-.jpg   Tylototriton yangi successful breeding-img_5143.jpg  

Old 4 Days Ago   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Tylototriton yangi successful breeding

Awesome

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack