The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!

This is a discussion on Eddie & Elektra lay eggs! within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; One batch almost completely hatched, and today while I was at work she started laying another...I surprised her in mid-lay....

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2008   #21 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Round Two

One batch almost completely hatched, and today while I was at work she started laying another...I surprised her in mid-lay.
Attached Thumbnails
Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-e-e2ndbatchsm.jpg  

Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2008   #22 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!

Larvae from the first batch...really growing!

I LOVE that second picture! They look like a herd, about to run through the country kicking up dust.
Attached Thumbnails
Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons-2-sm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons-1-sm.jpg  

Old 31st July 2008   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 7
Comments: 30
Rep: i_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and informationi_love_necturus has given good advice and information

They look great Dawn, congrats. Good luck with the little guys and girls! =] How many do you have?

Old 31st July 2008   #24 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

I stopped counting at 25 larvae in that tank, and I have a second tank with her second round of eggs, I probably have 25-30 eggs in there. I'll be wallowing in newts!

Old 31st July 2008   #25 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterwoman View Post
I'll be wallowing in newts!
That's my kind of party!

What did you end up feeding yours on Dawn? My larvae seem to be good just living in water from out of one of my T.marmoratus tanks because it had a healthy supply of Moina.

Keep the updates coming.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008   #26 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

I ended up using the "pond water" method and now that they're larger I've been feeding them minced blackworms.

Old 1st August 2008   #27 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Eddie & Elektra's grandma laid eggs today. Last year it was a little earlier but I have moved them to a cooler spot.
These newts come from that big hassle when "Brit" was importing animals a few years back. I'm sure some of the old timers remember all of the broken promises.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008   #28 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I remember having to threaten to contact the authorities if I didn't get my money back. I am still disappointed that the T. asperrimus did not work out though.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008   #29 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Their parents are wild-caught ? Then Eddie and Elektra are like first-generation citizens who can speak English, and Chinese only so-so, and their offspring will be fully Americanized, knowing only one or two words of Chinese and thinking their grandparents are from another planet.

Old 2nd August 2008   #30 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

They seem to actually appear bigger and bigger every day! and the second batch of eggs is beginning to hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons8-02-1-asm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons8-02-1-bsm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons8-02sm.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2008   #31 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Their parents are wild-caught ? Then Eddie and Elektra are like first-generation citizens who can speak English, and Chinese only so-so, and their offspring will be fully Americanized, knowing only one or two words of Chinese and thinking their grandparents are from another planet.
Nope. Eddie and Elektras parents came in as c.b. older juveniles through Canada. I raised their parents up and bred them. I'm guessing this is the 3rd or 4th year I bred them.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008   #32 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

So they probably speak French. lol.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008   #33 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Default More pictures

I tried to feed them bloodworms (didn't go over) but as I was cleaning them out, I got a couple larvae in a jar and here are close-ups:

Though I wonder if that orange belly in number one is from bloodworms? Besides that, all they get are chopped/minced blackworms.
Attached Thumbnails
Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons08-08-08-1-ms.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons08-08-08-2-sm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons08-08-08-3-sm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons08-08-08sm.jpg  

Old 13th August 2008   #34 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Feeding them today, I counted 30+ larvae in the first egg tank (a 5 gallon tank). They are getting on an inch long, so I set up a ten gallon and put about 2/3 of them in there. I may end up with so many!!

Jake, Ed, how are you guys doing, if you care to contribute to this thread?

Old 16th August 2008   #35 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Default More pics!

Here's Mommy today. Despite being as big as a house, she was begging and begging for food. She ate FOUR worms today. Daddy only ate one.
The rest of the pics are babies.
The first are larvae who remain in the parents' tank. I couldn't find them all, so I've just let these go. Note how tiny one of them is. Also, in the first pic of Elektra, see the larva by her feet?

The next three are of a larva I sequestered in a jar for pics; and the final one is of one of the baby tanks.

I hope I'll be able to find them all good homes! I only plan on keeping four.
Attached Thumbnails
Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektra8-16-08sm2.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektra8-16-08-1-sm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-electrons8-16-08sm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-electrons8-16-08-1-sm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-electrons8-16-08-2-sm.jpg  

Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-electrons8-16-08-3-sm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-electrons8-16-08-4-sm.jpg  

Old 16th August 2008   #36 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: More pics!

Lookin' good, Dawn. If you keep feeding Elektra like that, she'll have serious problems losing all that baby fat!

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008   #37 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Today's larvae. This week I'm moving them all to a 40 gallon tank. Moving from the bassinet to the crib.
Attached Thumbnails
Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons08-26-08-1-sm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons08-26-08-2-sm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons08-26-08-3-sm.jpg   Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!-elektrons08-26-08sm.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2008   #38 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:

Jake, Ed, how are you guys doing, if you care to contribute to this thread?
Mine are doing well Dawn. Though I don't think they're nearly as big as yours. I've been feeding them only on moina and cyclops. I did find a few predatory insects in one tank that must have been passengers on the hornwart that I used in the nursery tank and suspect a few of them contribued to their bugs' diet. I think in a week or two I'll begin to offer chopped blackworms and frozen/thawed bloodworms.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2008   #39 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Looking at the pictures I've posted, I realize that mine keep looking the same but keep getting bigger. So I'll hold off on any more pics till they start looking different or do tricks or something.
Some of them are a good two inches, and they are eating whole blackworms.

Old 18th September 2008   #40 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 2
Rep: JWERNER has started on the right path

Thats freakin cool! Hows it been? I haven't been on for a while.

I just got my first round of eggs ever today!

I'm hoping I have just as much success with mine as you have!

I'm not sure if shes done yet cause yeah shes huge but the thing is I only got a few eggs. I'm not sure how many blue tail fire bellies lay but I am thinking since its her first clutch she shouldn't have to many. I noticed some are browning and I don't know if thats good or bad yet but they are very clean otherwise. I also don't know how long they have been in the tank. The one that is the whitest was of course the first I found and the one that was closest to the glass right in plain site, the others I had to dig around for so they may have been in the tank longer but this is my first time so I cant say or hold my breath.

Great work so far, those guys seem like they have been taken care of very well so far.

Tags
eddie, eggs, elektra, lay

LinkBack