The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Could my female shanjing have eggs?

This is a discussion on Could my female shanjing have eggs? within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have a female T. Shanjing, and she will occassionally show some "pudge"(like, once a year), and I was wondering ...

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th March 2009   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and information
Default Could my female shanjing have eggs?

I have a female T. Shanjing, and she will occassionally show some "pudge"(like, once a year), and I was wondering if it is at all possible for a female to generate sterile eggs, and resorb them? I've never really offered a lot of water or aquatic plants(obviously) to her, so I never was able to see what would happen. I am hesitant as she just doesn't like to be wet period. Well...She does like to be misted at night, and she drinks by lowering her head and slightly opening her mouth. It's cool to see!

By the way, she is a "solo" inhabitant...not a male in sight!

-jbherpin-

-William Shakespeare
jbherpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2009   #2 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: Could my female shanjing have eggs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbherpin View Post
I have a female T. Shanjing, and she will occassionally show some "pudge"(like, once a year), and I was wondering if it is at all possible for a female to generate sterile eggs
Not sterile, infertile, and yes is the answer to the question. However it's a large step from carrying eggs to being receptive to breeding.
Old 20th March 2009   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and information

She has no male to take advantage of her condition anyway, but thank you for the response. I was hoping that she didn't have a problem or anything.
On a side note, Why was the spermatophore deposited on land in the pic of the month?
http://www.caudata.org/cc/photoofthe...0903.large.jpg

-jbherpin-

-William Shakespeare

Last edited by Jennewt; 21st March 2009 at 14:10. Reason: changed link to photo
Old 20th March 2009   #4 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbherpin View Post
On a side note, Why was the spermatophore deposited on land in the pic of the month?
http://www.caudata.org/cc/index.shtml
Tylototriton shanjing have been recorded mating on land several times.
Old 20th March 2009   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Does the female choose an aquatic site to deposit eggs later?In any event, it was a great pic, and very interesting! Thanks John!

-jbherpin-

-William Shakespeare
Old 20th March 2009   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: petro has shown reliable knowledgepetro has shown reliable knowledge

They lay the egs on the landsite near the water.
Petro
petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009   #7 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
They lay the egs on the landsite near the water.
Petro
They lay in water too.
Old 21st March 2009   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: petro has shown reliable knowledgepetro has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
They lay in water too.

Sorry, got the intention that the questin was,of they need water for it.
Petro
petro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggs, eggs?, female, shanjing