The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Tylototriton verrucosus

This is a discussion on Tylototriton verrucosus within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Originally Posted by evut How exciting! What size are these guys now? The adults are maybe 15cm....

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2012   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Tylototriton verrucosus

Quote:
Originally Posted by evut View Post
How exciting! What size are these guys now?

The adults are maybe 15cm.
bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Well the previous shenanigans came to nothing.
Two days ago I found the two males harassing one of the females. There was lots of clambering all over her, nudging and and tail fanning. I was about to remove some of the plants as it was getting rather over grown, but decided I should leave it a bit longer. Yesterday morning I found some eggs . My first verrusosus eggs
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-007.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-010.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-011.jpg  
Old 18th December 2012   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: wargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and information

Well done Julia, lets hope they are fertile.

Dave
wargar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2012   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:

They are fertile
Unfortunately she hasn't stuck them on very well and they are wafting gently around the bottom of the tank .

Here is a little video of today's antics.

Last edited by bellabelloo; 23rd December 2012 at 14:04. Reason: link wasn't working
Old 1st February 2013   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:

A little update Here are some of the larvae that I fished out of the adult tank over the last few days. These have developed much faster than the few I fished out as eggs.
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-p1030520.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-p1030521.jpg  
Old 11th March 2013   #26 (permalink)

Nationality:

One of the larvae is really standing out from the others. Usually the lighter ones darken, this one hasn't yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-p1030760.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-p1030732.jpg  
Old 11th March 2013   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: gar4016 has shown reliable knowledge

I'm no expert on Tylos, but that juvenile looks leucistic to me. It certainly stands apart from its brothers and sisters. Congrats on some healthy babies too!
gar4016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2013   #28 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

Helloooo! :) I recently received a bunch of these babies and im trying to raise them...mine are like 2 inches big and I had been feeding them chopped earth worms and wiggling in front of their mouths..they were eating great and they usually eat but what else do you feed them? I think they started to bully the smallest one so i separated him...what kinda set up did you have them like at 2-3inches big? thank you :)
velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013   #29 (permalink)

Nationality:

Mine are mostly fed earthworms, and occasionally blood worm.
I am keeping mine aquatic. When I start to see signs of them morphing, I drop the water level to about an inch or so, add lots of floating plants and a rock or two to break the surface. So far they are quite happy to stay aquatic. Once I am happy that all is well, and that they are feeding I gradually raise the water level, making sure they have plenty of plants to lurk in. The ones that are staying with me will go into a Walstad style tank.
Old 20th March 2013   #30 (permalink)

Nationality:

Got a few more photo's today of one of the darker larva. Had to include the lighter one too
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-p1030802.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-p1030807.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-p1030814.jpg  
Old 21st March 2013   #31 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The gills are spectacular! I don't think I've ever seen animals with such huge gills.
evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: gar4016 has shown reliable knowledge

It looks like the lighter larva is showing some good xanthophores(can't tell if there's iridophores), but I'll be interested in seeing how this translates into an adult animal. Impressive gills indeed!
gar4016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2013   #33 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you for the comments. I was hoping the darker larva's gills would be shrinking, but it seems to have other ideas. I am wishing that the lighter one grows quickly so we can see what it does. I am not good at being patient
Old 29th March 2013   #34 (permalink)

Nationality:

The light coloured one is getting more chunky. There are a some more grey speckles developing on it, it is still very much lighter than its siblings.
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-p1030897.jpg  
Old 30th March 2013   #35 (permalink)

Nationality:

I just spotted this photo, the light larvae is descended from some of John's.

Caudata.org - Member Galleries - Tylototriton verrucosus - wildtype and hypomelanoid
Old 5th April 2013   #36 (permalink)

Nationality:

I see more grey speckles.
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-015.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-013.jpg  
Old 24th April 2013   #37 (permalink)

Nationality:

Two weeks older
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-016.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-017.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-011.jpg  
Old 4th May 2013   #38 (permalink)

Nationality:

The golden one has now been upgraded to a clear sided tank :)
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-012.jpg  
Old 26th May 2013   #39 (permalink)

Nationality:

I think the 'back fin' is maybe just starting to recede ...... or maybe not :/
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-017.jpg  
Old 26th May 2013   #40 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given good advice and informationfrogman has given good advice and informationfrogman has given good advice and information

He is beautiful Julia, I cant wait to see how he looks when he morphs :)
frogman is offline   Reply With Quote