The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tylototriton verrucosus

This is a discussion on Tylototriton verrucosus within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have just received three of these juveniles, raised by Anthony McGill....

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Tylototriton verrucosus

I have just received three of these juveniles, raised by Anthony McGill.
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-tylos-002.jpg  

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Tylototriton verrucosus

Congratulations, they are adorable! You have no idea how much I envy you...

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Shadow has started on the right path

Really nice! I planned on getting some of these but wanted something a little more terrestrial.

How about some more photos!

Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Two more pictures for you
Eva.....I am going to try really really hard not to get anything else, but you know me well enough to know I will fail.
They are currently in an aquarium with soil moss and a large sunk water bowl. They merrily hop into the water and then cleverly hide ....they blend in beautifully with the soil
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-tylos-004.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-tylos-010.jpg  

Old 29th January 2012   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

They are beautiful - as you can imagine, I love this species. I have had much luck with them.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hi i'm raising the same type of juveniles as you, I didn't have much success raising them terrestrial.
I'm now raising two juveniles aquatic,along with my adults temperatures are about 22 to 24 degrees C.
I love them their fattening up quite well!, good luck with your one's

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

I am very tempted to do the same. The room they are in is on the cooler side and it also happens to be my oldest son's room, so all the plug sockets have been hijacked by his stuff. I would need a heater in their tank I think to raise the temperature enough for them.

Old 21st April 2012   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Time for a little update.
Since reading Mr Cyclones comment I have put them in a more aquatic set up. I did have a heater in with them, but when it started making scary sounds I removed it. The water temperature is approx. 15 degrees at the moment. They enjoy eating earthworms and the largest is now close to 3 inches in length.
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-tylos-004.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-tylos-007.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-tylos-010.jpg  

Old 21st April 2012   #9 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Those are some fine looking animals. Here the temperatures are 15C as well. They've had 10C to endure, but this didn't had any effect on their ferocious appetite.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Nice looking healthy juves those 1's from Tony well done wifey

Old 21st April 2012   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

They look like they've grown a lot since I saw them. I don't think I'll be able to sit and wait for yours to breed....I have a serious newt crush!

Old 24th April 2012   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTylototritonGuy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Gorgeous specimens Bella :) They look in great condition too!!

TylototritonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

I received some eggs from Mr Cyclone, these started hatching w/c 16th April. Here is on of the larvae. I hadn't realised they had developed their hind legs
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-010.jpg  

Old 7th August 2012   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:

Today, the first of the eggs that I got from Aaron/ Mr Cyclone morphed
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-tylo-morphs-001.jpg  

Old 7th August 2012   #15 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The ones that you got from Anthony McGill are the offspring of my animals, which are the line originating with John's animals! I gave them to Tony when I went to uni. Good to know that they are still breeding.

Good luck with them!

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2012   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Lovely wee morph julia what size did he morph at? you got many more morphing?

Old 7th August 2012   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

Nearly two inches, just fed them all and it is merrily chomping on the worms in the water. There is a smaller one which may be close behind...but not convinced it hasn't been nibbled on by its siblings.
Aaron, did you give your new morphs a terrestrial phase...I know I have asked you, but have completely forgotten what you said

Old 15th August 2012   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

One of the paler larvae from Mr Cyclone.
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-002.jpg  

Old 25th November 2012   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:

I realised I haven't updated this recently.
This week, after sprucing up the adults tank and doing a water change I returned to find them swimming frantically around the tank and nudging each other. I initially thought that I had done something wrong with the water change, but checked and all seems fine. It was only after I put my specs on that I noticed that their nice clean and tidy tank was now adorned with spermataphore. I have just walked in on them just now and they are at it again
Here is a photo of the spermataphore ( because I am sure you'll all be as excited to see it as I was) and one of the culprits
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-008.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-056.jpg  

Old 26th November 2012   #20 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

How exciting! What size are these guys now?

LinkBack