The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Croc newts entering cooling period

This is a discussion on Croc newts entering cooling period within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Just moved my 3 tylotriton cf. kweichowensis to their cooling winter caging. They were being kept in the lizard room ...

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By freves

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2012   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Willlis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and informationWilllis has given consistently good advice and information
Default Croc newts entering cooling period

Just moved my 3 tylotriton cf. kweichowensis to their cooling winter caging. They were being kept in the lizard room until now at about 72 degrees F. Currently the temp where they are is about 56 degrees F but it will get cooler in that part of the basement as the winter progresses. Nothing much below 50 F though. Just curious how long other people generally keep them at cooler temps. I was thinking probably about 3 months. Mostly because that will be about the time will be bringing other animals out of cooling as well. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

Willlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2013   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Croc newts entering cooling period

What you are doing sounds good. I have difficulty cooling my salamander room down below 55 F during the winter because of the way it is constructed.
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2013   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Croc newts entering cooling period

I've had T.yangi weather sub-freezing temperatures with no problem. As long as temperatures were above freezing in the day and no lower than -5C or so at night, they st stayed outside in a sheltered location with deep leaf litter. They were fine only 2-3 inches down. Any colder than that, they came indoors so as to avoid freezing solid.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack