The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tylototriton Yangi

This is a discussion on Tylototriton Yangi within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Well, it has come to my attention that the old thread is not only stating an improper name but is ...

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By frogman
  • 1 Post By mr cyclone
  • 1 Post By frogman
  • 1 Post By frogman
  • 2 Post By frogman
  • 3 Post By frogman
  • 3 Post By frogman
  • 1 Post By frogman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2014   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given good advice and informationfrogman has given good advice and informationfrogman has given good advice and information
Default Tylototriton Yangi

Well, it has come to my attention that the old thread is not only stating an improper name but is also generally out of date. So I will start a new one well, I will start out by saying that all newts were taken out of winter cooling as of January 15th 2014. They kept good weight during the winter and are all in great health. The new female has fit in just fine with the others and I could not be more happy to have her. I am keeping them in their terrestrial setup until the beginning of March and then I will transfer then into the aquatic tank. In the time I was cooling them. I gutted and redid the 40 gallon breeder tank. It may look similar but there are some modifications. There is now more area on the floor of the water part and also a custom sponge filter. The land area had hides, moss, and plenty of plants to make them feel right at home while they are adjusting to the water phase. Here's the tank
Full View
Click the image to open in full size.
Water

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014   #2 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: frogman has given good advice and informationfrogman has given good advice and informationfrogman has given good advice and information

The colony was in their dirt/moss tank for a month. It came to my attention that the base of the container that they were in was the same size as the land area in the 40g (12x18). So I took the moss and made the land area in the aquarium as good, if not better, as the one they were in before.

I just put them in and they are getting adjusted. Just a matter of time before they begin exploring the water area.

Here are some pictures :)

Tylototriton Yangi-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392363313.279553.jpg

Tylototriton Yangi-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392363327.453044.jpg

Tylototriton Yangi-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392363339.877033.jpg
And my favorite (big mama)
Tylototriton Yangi-imageuploadedbytapatalk1392363350.627234.jpg

Old 11th March 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: adler0 has started on the right path
Default Re: Tylototriton Yangi

Wow, your tank looks great! I'm thinking about getting one of these soon so it's nice to see a great set up like yours. Thanks for sharing.

adler0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2014   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Any updates on what happened? Did they lay or breed? I want to know!

Old 12th March 2014   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Asianherps has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman View Post
Well, it has come to my attention that the old thread is not only stating an improper name but is also generally out of date. So I will start a new one well, I will start out by saying that all newts were taken out of winter cooling as of January 15th 2014. They kept good weight during the winter and are all in great health. The new female has fit in just fine with the others and I could not be more happy to have her. I am keeping them in their terrestrial setup until the beginning of March and then I will transfer then into the aquatic tank. In the time I was cooling them. I gutted and redid the 40 gallon breeder tank. It may look similar but there are some modifications. There is now more area on the floor of the water part and also a custom sponge filter. The land area had hides, moss, and plenty of plants to make them feel right at home while they are adjusting to the water phase. Here's the tank
Full View
Water
Thanks for sharing
T. yangi is terrestrial most of the time, so I would suggest increasing the land portion and provide some more hiding places.
If they do mate, remember to record the courtship behavior!

Asianherps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

No eggs yet seth, they are staying terrestrial and hidden for now. One male is exploring the shallows a bit though. In late spring I will raise humidity and temps. If I am to get eggs it will be in June-July as they are late summer breeders.

Old 12th March 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Alex Tuskanov has a good thread on here he has bred his 3-4 times a year . I believe he raises the temps to 22c and does water changes via artificial showers,
I hope you are successful ,my fingers are crossed

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2014   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Thanks man, my fingers are crossed too.

Old 8th April 2014   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

My large female has taken to the water quickly, the males and small female are sticking to the land for now. One male has been venturing into the water shallow area. I am hoping for eggs this summer. I should have more luck with one more female and having put them through winter cooling.

Evan

Old 27th April 2014   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Any luck with these yet?

Old 27th April 2014   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Nothing yet, mostly getting used to the aquatic life still. Tails fattening and things like that. They are getting close though, I did see some interest between a male and female the other day.

Evan

Old 16th May 2014   #12 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I have some good news! Both females look gravid and males have been stalking them. One male in particular has a very large cloaca and is showing the most interest I have my fingers crossed. I am surprised that they are becoming aquatic so early though, these guys are said to be late summer breeders. I guess we will see what happens.

Evan

Old 17th May 2014   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Excellent new mate what are you doing to stimulate them? Increase in temperature and water changes?
Keep us posted Evan I hope they lay loads of eggs mate

Old 25th May 2014   #14 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Even better news! Found a spermataphore in the tank a few minutes ago. All 3 males have swollen cloacas! Tylototriton Yangi-imageuploadedbytapatalk1401005622.255835.jpgTylototriton Yangi-imageuploadedbytapatalk1401005673.550493.jpgTylototriton Yangi-imageuploadedbytapatalk1401005695.961783.jpg

Old 8th July 2014   #15 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Well it's that time of year again. The temperature is heating up and so is the activity in the yangi tank. I have been seeing loads of spermataphores and have observed lots of courtship. Here is a recent video. One male sandwiched between two females.

And some spermataphores of course.

Tylototriton Yangi-imageuploadedbytapatalk1404850102.772828.jpg
Tylototriton Yangi-imageuploadedbytapatalk1404850112.480484.jpg

I think eggs are just around the corner :)

Enjoy!

Evan

Old 14th April 2015   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi what is the latest with yout Yangi frogman?

Old 14th April 2015   #17 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Cut back feeding a bit during the winter. Now that it is warming up I am feeding them a lot more. I notice one male has taken to the water already!

Old 14th April 2015   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

Cool I decided to cool mine whilst I worked on a new setup for them,I have since my last post literally just broke one of the light bulbs for the hood so not happy about that.I have spoke to a French guy about how he managed to breed them and ive based my new build on his tips,I am more than anything just hopeing that when they come out of the cooling process they are healthy more than anything and willing to eat

Old 14th April 2015   #19 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Sounds good man, keep me updated. I have been scaling down lately, but I want to focus on these more.

LinkBack