The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tylototriton verrucosus

This is a discussion on Tylototriton verrucosus within the Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; After a complete breakdown in will power earlier today I accepted the offer of two baby T. verrucosus. Under normal ...

Crocodile Newts (Tylototriton & Echinotriton)... Two popular genera of Asian newts, the crocodile newts are diverse of habit, habitat, and appearance. The Mandarin or Emperor Newt, Tylototriton shanjing, is highly sought after.

Like Tree139Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th October 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Tylototriton verrucosus

After a complete breakdown in will power earlier today I accepted the offer of two baby T. verrucosus. Under normal circumstances I'm sure I could have resisted, but I'd just been watching their parents beaming out of their plants at me so was powerless to resist.
I have been planing to get some of these for a while now, but later, rather than sooner!
Their eventual home will be the 75 gallon corner tank in my living room, but for the time being they are in a 20 gallon that I use for growing water lettuce in the tortoise house. The air temp in there is a steady 65F, so hopefully they should be fine until their full time home is ready.
I'll get some better pics once they're settled in, but here are some poor (even by my standards) snaps from when I put them in. :)
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_5502.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_5492.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_5499.jpg  
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Tylototriton verrucosus

They look really good. Do you plan to get more of them? They'll definitely enjoy 75 gallons to themselves! I really like your way of designing your tanks so I can't wait to see how the 75 gallon will look when you've finished.

Stuart
Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

This is how it begins...

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2014   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I know, that's the worst thing, but I still said yes!
Old 30th October 2014   #5 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: jAfFa CaKe has given good advice and informationjAfFa CaKe has given good advice and information

Congrats! This is a species I hope to get in the future.
jAfFa CaKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I have a bunch morphing now :-) They are a great species, really friendly, by that I mean greedy and like to beg for food. Make sure you familiarise your self with morphing tanks, these guys try to drown themselves.
Old 31st October 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

I have 5 of these guys that are like 2 years almost. How do you breed them?
velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Cheers for the heads up Ian, I haven't read up properly on them yet, I honestly didn't know how much I needed any until I saw them! At the moment their tank is a kind of swamp set up that I use to overwinter water hyacinths for the pond, so there's the roots to hang on to and a carpet of leaves if they want to emerge, although they're still a way of morphing yet.

Stuart, If they turn out to be a pair, I won't bother looking for any more, I like to keep stocking levels low purely because it's easier to keep nitrate levels from rising. If I'm lucky enough to have them breed in the distant future, I won't be able to part with all of the babies though...
Old 2nd December 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Well, the baby verrucosus have grown huge. To me at least, being used to dealing with tiny Cynops larvae. Even though their siblings have all morphed the two I have don't seem in any rush, although I thought one of them started weeks ago. His gills shrunk slightly and his head shape seemed to change slightly, but that was it. They can certainly Eat! although they don't go in to any kind of frenzy, they can keep chomping all day long! :)
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6010.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6031.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6020.jpg  
Old 3rd December 2014   #10 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

Wow, jealous though. Have you gotten a tank setup for it yet?
Old 3rd December 2014   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

No, not yet, I'm going to start this weekend. Although they can stay in their nursery tank until they're past any danger of drowning. Their siblings stayed aquatic after morphing without any problems, so hopefully these will as well.
Old 13th December 2014   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

I think one of the baby Tylos is beginning to morph so I've brought them inside where I can keep an eye on them. I'm a bit paranoid about drowning, so I've set them up a nursery tank with shallow water and plenty of weeds/driftwood to rest in just below the surface. I think they will be staying where they are until they've grown a bit bigger and all risk of drowning has passed, it will also give the plants time to root properly and start growing in their permanent home.
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6098.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6108.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6091.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6109.jpg  
Old 13th December 2014   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

If you want any tips for morphing let me know
If you keep the water temp at 22c the juves will stay aquatic after they've been morphed
mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2015   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:

Three of the four tylos have been growing really well and generally thriving, but the fourth one has struggled. For whatever reason, he morphed months before the others at a very small size and although he was happy and healthy when I collected him, he became very shy would only eat every now and then.
Anyway, in the end I moved him to a terrestrial tub with a water dish medicated with bactyfec and some live bloodworm in a jar lid. It was only a day or two before the bloodworms were almost gone and he seemed much brighter, so i tried him with a piece of earthworm which he eventually ate.
He's now back with his siblings and demolishing earthworms like there,s no tomorrow. I can't believe how much such a small creature can swallow! I got a few snaps of him fighting with his tea today so I thought I'd post them.:) The lighting is pretty poor in their weedy tank so they're not great, but I will update with some better pics of the others soon. 8)
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6517.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6519.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6529.jpg  
Old 5th February 2015   #15 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

Currently trying to not be jealous
Old 13th February 2015   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

I took a few snaps of the baby Tylos and their tank today, the biggest three are happy in the big tank, but I have kept the small one on his own where I can make sure he eats properly.
The pics aren't brilliant, the bow front on the tank does weird things to the camera focus, but I thought I'd post them anyway. :)
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6545.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6561.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6566.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-sam_6562.jpg  
Old 18th February 2015   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tyzoone has shown reliable knowledge

Love this thread! Keep the pics coming Chinadog!
Old 28th March 2015   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

I thought I'd post a few recent snaps of the tylos now they are properly settled in their tank. Since I started hand feeding them they have mostly stopped biting each other and are really becoming quite spoiled. The smallest one is still on his own for now though, I still don't trust the other three not to try and swallow him.
I'm starting to see differences in their shape as they grow, two of them seem to have really wide triangular heads and seem really bulky, while the other two have a much more slender profile. I wonder if the bulky ones are the females? The last photo shows the two profiles side by side.
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-tylo-elodea-.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-tylo-vallis-.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-tylotank2.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-t.-verrucosus-front.jpg  
Old 1st April 2015   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:

A few more snaps. They couldn't be more different to the other species I have and feeding time is always manic, but they are hilarious to watch sometimes. :)
Attached Thumbnails
Tylototriton verrucosus-smile.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-shedding.jpg   Tylototriton verrucosus-bye-bye-worm.jpg  
Old 1st April 2015   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: tammyaxie has started on the right path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
A few more snaps. They couldn't be more different to the other species I have and feeding time is always manic, but they are hilarious to watch sometimes. :)
Haha cute!!!
tammyaxie is offline   Reply With Quote