The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

White danube crested

This is a discussion on White danube crested within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello, I have had about a thousand danube crested hatch so far this season, and I noticed about ten are ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chaimdov
  • 1 Post By otolith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: chaimdov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default White danube crested

Hello,

I have had about a thousand danube crested hatch so far this season, and I noticed about ten are white. They are about an inch at the moment, I can not tell if they are all white or if all just very pale. They certainly are not albino.

Din anyone else have this experience?

Thanks.

chaimdov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: White danube crested

I've never had white larvae but I do occasionally get dark ones. As larvae they are much darker and do not have any reflective eye pigment. The few I raised to morphing never developed any belly color, and were generally much darker than normal individuals. I suspect they were melanistic. They were unfortunately not as robust as normal morphs. I had one dark male make it to adult hood but it died after two years and the females that bred with it had much lower fertility. I hope your animals are healthier than my weird aberrant color morphs.

Any updates on your larvae?

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack