The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

T. Carnifex Breeding Project

This is a discussion on T. Carnifex Breeding Project within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Just modified my carnifex inclosure to better suit their breeding needs. Hoping they will give me some eggs this year! ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information
Default T. Carnifex Breeding Project

Just modified my carnifex inclosure to better suit their breeding needs. Hoping they will give me some eggs this year! Thank you to everyone who's contributed their wealth of knowledge to the forums as they have been quite helpful.

I am hoping to post pictures as I have updates, these photos were taken about 3 weeks ago, going to take another set next week.

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2016   #2 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: T. Carnifex Breeding Project

I'm very curious about the pictures.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information

Sorry for the delay/ lack of pics. These are from a few months ago as changes were starting. The first two pics are babies born this year that are maturing at around 8-9 months.

Here are some recent pictures. I removed the land portion of their tank. I cooled them at around 10-15 degrees for about 1-1.5 months so far. They were cooled in their regular tank, aquatically. I just left the window open a crack to do this. I also included a pic of their home.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_5764.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_4505.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_4759.jpg  

Last edited by Chinadog; 29th December 2016 at 22:47.
Old 30th December 2016   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Males seem to be cresting up nicely!

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Old 1st January 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Some of the pictures from the previous post didn't upload/ I didn't realize you could add more than 3 (woops). Here are some more pictures as well as a picture of their home.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_9120.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_9558.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_9534.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_5706.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_7311.jpg  

T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_8558.jpg  

Old 1st January 2017   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Beautiful setup!

Old 1st January 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you! They seem quite happy in there. I presume probably still at least a month, maybe closer to two for eggs. I will try to post more frequent updates.

Old 3rd January 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

The males are looking good. Some of them are under a year old and almost fully crested. I have about a 50/50 split male to female. Some of my females are under a year old and though the males seem ready I'm not sure if the females will be (I know they can take a little longer to mature). They are adult size so hopefully they pull through. These guys have been cooling for about two months now.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_9703.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_9665.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_9662.jpg  

Old 27th January 2017   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

Does anyone know if the female carnifex crest like the female marms do?

Old 27th January 2017   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Some more recent pics. The males crests have been growing, this one is a little ahead of the others.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_0487.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_0480.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_0464.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_0434.jpg  

Old 30th January 2017   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: yankeedoodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Those look nice, any idea on where they originated?

yankeedoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

I didn't receive any locality information. The hobby is a lot more limited here, it is a luxury to have that kind of info/have the choice lol.

Old 6th February 2017   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Stil waiting for the males to crest but saw some tail fanning yesterday. Does anyone have any tips for stimulating breeding? Would an increase in lighting help at all? The temperature has been rising since it's gotten a bit warmer out, the tank is around 15C
Attached Thumbnails
T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_0629.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_0708.jpg  

Old 6th February 2017   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Judging by the crests on the males I'd say you already stimulated breeding. Its probably just a matter of time at this point. I notice egg deposition usually happens at 15-18C for my Triturus sp groups.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

I increased the lighting a little bit, the room takes care of itself temperature-wise based on the weather/house temps, right now I think it is about 15 degrees but has been below that up until the last 2 weeks. Hopefully that will be enough, thanks for your input!

Old 27th February 2017   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

Found the first few eggs this week. Hoping they are viable, should know in a few days. A couple have gone fuzzy, not sure if it is just because they are the first few and also the first time this female has laid. Only seen about 8 eggs so far, hoping there will be more to come. A few photo updates as well.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_1791.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_1768.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_1803.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_1749.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_1689.jpg  

T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_1721.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_1625.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_1703.jpg  

Old 9th May 2017   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:

These guys took me for a bit of a ride. The first female to lay laid duds, and all I got were duds for the following 1-2 months. This week I noticed some of the eggs developing as well as a few stray larvae in the parent tank, so alas some good eggs! I was able to get a few pics of the larvae, and some pics of the adults between my last post and now. The males have lost about 80% of their crests so I think things have concluded for this year, just awaiting anymore good eggs to wrap things up.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_0561.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_0704.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_0966.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_1139.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_3866.jpg  

T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_6186.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_6185.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_6194.jpg  

Old 29th May 2017   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

The carnifex seem to grow a little faster than the marms. This is the same little dude from before with some fresh new legs!
Attached Thumbnails
T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_8111.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_8114.jpg  

Old 29th May 2017   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I missed most of this thread somehow, please keep the pics coming! :)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:

I love looking at people's pics on here, so I take lots myself! Here are some pictures of the big ones, they started developing color. I also cleaned the parent tank a little to remove plants covered with duds that weren't looking too good.
Attached Thumbnails
T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_8562.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_8591.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_8552.jpg   T. Carnifex Breeding Project-img_8341.jpg  

LinkBack