The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Marmoratus Breeding Project

This is a discussion on Marmoratus Breeding Project within the Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I am preparing to breed my marmoratus, and have moved them from their terrestrial setup to a more aquatic setup. ...

Eurasian Newts (Triturus, former Triturus, Calotriton & Euproctus).. Triturus and its relatives (Ichthyosaura/Mesotriton, Lissotriton, and Ommatotriton) are a diverse and widespread group of newts. While mainly European, several species can be found in the Near and Middle East. Euproctus, the brook newts, are confined to Corsica and Sardinia.

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information
Default Marmoratus Breeding Project

I am preparing to breed my marmoratus, and have moved them from their terrestrial setup to a more aquatic setup. They have all been going in and out of the water, the males doing so more regularly from my observations. They are currently being housed in my basement with the window slightly ajar, so they have been cooling for the last two weeks or so, with quite a bit left to go. Will post pictures with updates/as I remove the land portions of their setup over time.

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: la salamandra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marmoratus Breeding Project

Do you have some pictures about your terrestrial and terrestrial/acquatic set up?
I'm interested on this species and i could be inspired from your "breeding project " .

la salamandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information

Here are some photo updates sorry for the delay. I have a male and two females in here. I had slowly been increasing the water level as I noticed their skin change. They dug a cave in to the sand when the water rose which was cool. They are all fairly aquatic now. One female entered the water a few months earlier so she is bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_9514.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_9529.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_9429.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_9360.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_8932.jpg  

Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_5811.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_9536.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

I had seen some tail fanning and courtship attempts when the weather had warmed for a few days, now that it has cooled back down though the male has stopped pursuing the females, is that normal? Good to know he is interested nevertheless, I acquired him through trade (started with 3 females originally).

Old 3rd January 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

Moar pics. One of the females is looking pretty ripe.
Attached Thumbnails
Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_9702.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_9624.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_5806.jpg  

Old 7th January 2017   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: troutnerd has given good advice and informationtroutnerd has given good advice and informationtroutnerd has given good advice and information

Did you have success?

troutnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

I think the female just needs to uptake a spermatore successfully. Depending on the temperature there is either a lot of courtship behaviour or none at all, hopefully soon the female will take interest, the males are starting to look beautiful. I will post pics of them once they're in full dress

Old 27th January 2017   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

So the female marms crest 100% of the time? And do they usually lay after they crest or is that irrelevant? I don't think my females are creating (yet at least) but look like they may be gravid.

There are some pictures of my females and my male who seems to have resumed cresting. Auto correct always changes cresting to creating, which I guess is also true
Attached Thumbnails
Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_0486.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_0472.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_0461.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_0442.jpg  

Old 28th January 2017   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

What do you mean by females cresting, you mean their tails getting wider?

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2017   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

The females crest also just not as much as the males. Their tails have gotten quite a bit wider as well though

Old 30th January 2017   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: yankeedoodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good! How long does it take the males to crest fully?

yankeedoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2017   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

I think the female is cresting now, there is a really slight protrusion but not much. Just not sure If she would only lay after cresting, that seems to be a bit of a ways away. And similar for the male, does he need to be fully crested before she'll take his..seed?

Old 2nd February 2017   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Bae looks to be ripening, hopefully she is filling up with eggs. Still waiting for the male to achieve full mast
Attached Thumbnails
Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_0577.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_0512.jpg  

Old 5th February 2017   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:

A few more pics. She looks rotund but has been eating a lot so I'm not sure if she is just overly rotund
Attached Thumbnails
Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_0688.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_0690.jpg  

Old 5th February 2017   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: troutnerd has given good advice and informationtroutnerd has given good advice and informationtroutnerd has given good advice and information

She looks ready to burst. They are gorgeous animals. great pics.

troutnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks! I thought I had seen an egg but there was only 1 so I'm not 100% sure. Hoping there will be more to come in the upcoming days to confirm.

Old 7th February 2017   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: yankeedoodle is an unknown quantity at this point

an increase in lighting and temperature can help based on what I have seen online for breeding other Triturus species.

yankeedoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

Still waiting on eggs. Added a few plants just in case there weren't any that met her needs, but as you can see there's lots to choose from. Hoping she is in the mood!
Attached Thumbnails
Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_1728.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_1499.jpg  

Old 29th May 2017   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:

My female is big but has not laid yet. She ha been eating lots so it is likely from the food. I traded a female for a male earlier this year, and that female laid for its new owner who was kind enough to give me some eggs (we had made a deal that if one of us got eggs and the other didn't we would split them up). I also transferred the adults to a new aquatic tank, that I have been adding land to as 'spring' progresses. I have about 10 of the larvae, and would guess the oldest to be about 1-1.5 months old. Some of the other threads have their marks morphing at this time but mine don't seem to be close. I think t may be too late for my other female to pop but these will keep me busy in the meantime/ hopefully a few will make it so I can grow my colony of 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_8133.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_8134.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_8020.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_7931.jpg   Marmoratus Breeding Project-img_7826.jpg  

Old 29th May 2017   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I'm sure you'll swell your colony from the ten larvae you have, just be sure to separate the bigger ones. Triturus larvae soon resort to ripping each others bits off if they get a size advantage.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack